Ayahuasca retreat seems unsafe

I was going to mention that series as well. Its a highlight of the entire podcast.

3 Likes

I started going to the Amazon Basin area around Iquitos Peru in 1994. Initially I was with a group of western doctors who worked with the local shamans treating individuals in remote villages. One of the shamans who worked with us did use ayahuasca but not in treating physical problems. He didn’t advertise that he worked with it but Peruvian friends told me he did. I asked him about it and was told he would like to know me better and after making several trips with the same group he and I became comfortable working together. During a 2 year period of visits he instructed me on the use of the medicine and the reasons to seek it out. Ayahuasca, if made by people who know the medicine , is potent beyond anything else I have ever experienced. I spoke with him about my interest in using the medication and he agreed that my concerns were an appropriate quest He wanted to know what questions I would ask of the medicine. He told me that if I came to it in a good way I would get the answers whether I liked them or not. Told me what I might meet on the voyage and that at the end I would surf the Milky Way back to my body. There is no artificial light and in a jungle clearing the Milky way cover almost a full third of the night sky. I was the only outsider in our group, the rest were other Peruvians friends of mine. I did have the experience of surfing along the stars and finding my body. it was as light as a feather and I had to look at the ground to be sure I was touching it. Others had the same feeling and we laughed as we saw friends also checking their feet.
I would never try the medicine without knowing who made it. Hopefully I would be present as it was made. Now there are Ayahuasca camps as common as fast-food joints and with about the same quality. Good vines are becoming harder to source and many people use it without replanting new vines for the future It is not something to play with, without a qualified Shaman I would never consider using it. It has become a bucket list toy for too many people. More is the pity for what it offers can become an enlightening experience. Seek it out for the right reasons and perhaps it will be a gift for you.

edit: grammar

6 Likes

You don’t know how right you are. The head of that place calls himself a “shaman” and dresses like the local aboriginal people. He walks and talks with all sorts of appropriated spirituality. I can only imagine the eye rolling that the locals must do around this guy.

5 Likes

These MidJourney illustrations are really starting to look a lot like Ralph Steadman:

2 Likes

FYI, they do mention that episode at the end of the article. thanks for posting the link here!

2 Likes

Ugh. Dr. Jeff is going right under Dr. Phil on my list of drs of psychology who embarrass the field. Have to fit Peterson in there somewhere. My list is extensive.

5 Likes

Don’t threaten me with a good time, now

3 Likes

anyone have experience with the ketamine clinics that are popping up in strip malls? A friend reached out asking as he’s about to start treatment at one. Apparently they have a doctor and an anesthesiologist watching over the hour long sessions.

I mean… no, I would not trust pop up ketamine clinics in a mall. I would look for something attached to a research institute of some kind.

2 Likes

I can’t see handing my mental health over to people I won’t let inject botox into my ass cheeks.

2 Likes

Right? There are people who are seriously studying how to use various psychedelics to help with mental health and they are not in strip malls. :woman_shrugging: I’m guessing at least of few of those “doctors” are not MDs with expertise in the relavant areas, but either people with phds in other fields, from not really reputable places, or people who used to be MDs but are not MDs any more for whatever reasons.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.