BA.2 is overtaking Omicron variant

Originally published at: BA.2 is overtaking Omicron variant | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Ugh, just once, can’t we get it to mutate into something that is not the least bit harmful and actually improves your overall health while helping you drop 5kg? Is that too much to ask?

37 Likes

AP, London - Scientists have determined the latest mutation of the COVID-19 virus, currently named ‘Fabio’, has some unusual side effects. Illness symptoms overall are mild - generally consisting of a light fever and a sore throat - but also has some additional carry-on effects not common to the coronavirus strain. After patients recover from the disease, 73% of patients report whitening of teeth by at least 3 shades, increased metabolism, and increased growth of hair on the scalp. A small subset of recovered people also reported an increase to their credit score, renewal of auto warranty, and a positive refinancing of their mortgage, however scientists are currently unable to confirm there is a collaborative relationship with these effects.

42 Likes

I wonder if this is a variant of omicron, or an entirely new variant?

I wonder if that even matters?

I wonder if this Covid thing can spin off indefinitely into potentially lethal variants?

I wonder if Mommy’s home so I can go get a hug…

30 Likes

38 Likes

How about “bAAAA two”?

7B0G

22 Likes

the image header is brilliant.

10 Likes

if it is spreading in all those other countries odds are it’s in the US as well, we just don’t know yet…because < waves hands around vigorously >

12 Likes

I have the idea that every time this thing mutates it’s like rolling for ability scores in D&D.

And it could easily roll a high score for both transmissibility and lethality.

Please someone tell me I’m naive and ignorant and that epidemiology isn’t the same as Dungeons and Dragons.

28 Likes

batu barada nikto

robot laser GIF

21 Likes

It’s the outer rim planet you can visit on that overpriced starcruiser.

12 Likes

COVID is like a really shitty MCU/DCU movie where half the World is destroyed and the studios insist on making sequels no one asked for.

18 Likes

unvaxxed people seem to be asking for “Endgame”, though.

8 Likes

I mean, can you imagine if they had been naming different flu strains all these years? It’s becoming like The Weather Channel naming every weather disturbance humanly possible.

7 Likes

You mean the Star Cruiser hotel that doesn’t have any real windows or outdoor areas to escape the recirculated air during your stay? Yeah, appropriate.

7 Likes

“I can’t believe it’s not BA2!”

2 Likes

Given the number of variants I was thinking it’s like one MCU streaming show in particular.

20 Likes

I was really rooting for epsilon, damn it.

11 Likes

The general course of evolution for viruses is that they get more transmissible as they get less virulent, and so far it seems to be what’s happening with this SARS corona virus as well.

2 Likes

5 Likes