Dr. Fauci speaks about the new Omicron variant of COVID-19

Originally published at: Dr. Fauci speaks about the new Omicron variant of COVID-19 | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s gonna be difficult to get half of the political spectrum here to take a deadly disease variant named like a decepticon seriously.

28 Likes

And have they not watched Futurama? Or maybe they have…

10 Likes

They would see it as inspiration

12 Likes

Our fate is in our own hands

An exhortation that will be rejected immediately by the most members of the so-called “party of personal responsibility” because they think Fauci is a leader of a Satanic globalist conspiracy.

33 Likes

Should have named it after Younghee, the exterminating doll from Squid Game. That thing gives everyone the willies.

6 Likes

On the whole, I prefer Omicron 3.

33 Likes
10 Likes

Our fate is in our own hands… Um, yeah, that’s the scary part.

31 Likes

Apparently it’s only been detected in people who felt completely healthy and got tested because they were traveling, etc., not because they were sick. This rather heartens me - hopefully this indicates it’s a less dangerous variant (though of course, it might not).

I suppose at this point it’s pretty clear that what they mean by that is, “you’re responsible for your messes and you’re responsible for our messes, too.”

25 Likes

Just remember, Omicron is Moronic spelled sideways

34 Likes

I was watching OANN yesterday. There are still broadcasting vaccine denial and denial-denial, 24-7. Still. Jack Posobiec managed to find a GQP with an MD who nodded along with the vaccine denial-that-dare-not-be-denial: The vaccine will harm you / Vaccine has no therapeutic effect at all-- only risk / People who’ve gotten Covid have better resistance than people who’ve been vaccinated / It’s less risky to be infected by Covid and survive than to take the vaccine itself / Horse medicine and HCQ are safer, more effective than the vaccine. / Regeneron is a cure-all It’s sickening. Posobiec should stick to his customary pig sty, QAnon mongering.

Deep breath: the GQP doctor actually cited the Hippocratic Oath as the reason why he “had” to recommend against the vaccine.

It’s so weird. YES, we can cite incidents where airbags, seatbelts, or safety glass cause deaths-- but we do not advise cars to disable those features because they save 1000x-10000x as many lives as they take. Relative risk. It’s so obvious. And, of course, the GQP doctor predictably does cite relative risk… and he gets it wrong again, claiming its riskier to take the vaccine than not. Oh, and, because he’s a doctor, his opinion has the validity of Fauci’s and the 97% of academia.

14 Likes

Hearing “omicron” and thinking:

8 Likes

I do nit understand, why does Omicron, the largest of the variants, not simply eat the smaller ones?

15 Likes

I would love to see the AMA start pulling licenses on the accredited who are pushing dangerous vaccine misinformation.

Definitely a violation of the hippocratic oath at the very least.

29 Likes

Meh… I prefer Omicron Persei 8

Also:

Kent Brockman: “Dr Fauci, would you say it’s time for our viewers to, say, crack open each others skulls and feast on the gooey insides?”

Dr Fauci: “Yes, Kent, I would.”

“This is a Joey-heavy episode anyway…” (turns off TV)

15 Likes

Just wait until they realise that the WHO skipped the Nu and Xi variants.

Shit, too late

Maybe when we run out of Greek letters we should switch to the names of prominent Republicans. It’s not like they were reasonable when we were polite towards them

29 Likes

I guess that’s no worse than Omicron Theta, Data’s home planet and target of the “crystalline entity”…
:grimacing:

21 Likes

Behold, the Lord and Master of Omnishambles 9

18 Likes

it’s as ridiculous as monty python, with the roles reversed… if a doctor can’t acknowledge something relatively simple like vaccination, what’s going to happen when someone’s missing a limb?

16 Likes