Dr. Fauci speaks about the new Omicron variant of COVID-19

You’re probably thinking of Unicron, a planet size transformer that destroys entire worlds, and …. maybe that’s an apt comparison.

10 Likes

About that…

7 Likes

Yup. These antivaxx doctors have proven they don’t have an understanding of basic medicine. Their licenses should all be stripped immediately.

22 Likes

Those that can’t get vaccinated for whatever reason aren’t the problem here.
It should be obvious by now that those that still refuse to get vaccinated will not do so voluntarily.
Fine.
Let us respect their freedom to remain unvaccinated.
Let us also protect the greater populace by isolating them away from those they can potentially harm.
Given that most of ‘em are probably Climate Change Denialists as well, I suggest Northern Montana as a relocation area. That or the Idaho Panhandle.
Since they don’t seem to know the difference between ‘climate’ & ‘weather’, they will be able to deny ‘both’ to the end, so, a win-win as far as they are concerned…
"It’s cold as fuck! Global Warming my ass! Effin’ Libs! I knew they were lying!">cough<
etc…
/s [just in case]

9 Likes

Off topic, but still…

King Arthur: NI.

Sir Bedevere: NOU.

King Arthur: No, NI.

Sir Bedevere: NOU.

King Arthur: No No, NI… NI.

Sir Bedevere: No,No,No,No… NI.

12 Likes

NEXT UP:

16 Likes

I’m totally getting that one.

3 Likes

They missed some good classic comedy there.

“What’s the name of that new variant?”
“Nu.”
“Yeah, the new one.”
“Nu.”

15 Likes
11 Likes

Dr. Campbell discussed what little is currently known about Omicron. Emphasis on “little.” Preliminary data only, vaccines remain a good idea, wear a mask and don’t be stupid. I expect as good a level of compliance as we have seen so far. :man_facepalming:

20 Likes

Perhaps they could have called it “Pooh,” instead.

5 Likes

Except that the real problem here is people that couldn’t get vaccinated because of distribution problems in poorer parts of the world. It isn’t enough to get high vaccination rates in the first world if the third world is still mostly unvaccinated and therefore a breeding place for new variants.

7 Likes

A caution on Dr. Campbell (not an MD). While he does good presentations, and okay on a lot of things, he’s off the wall on some stuff like Ivermectin and cites discredited studies for it.

7 Likes

That would be up to state medical boards not AMA.

4 Likes

That’s why they didn’t use Xi.

2 Likes

Feeling a lot of hope from this:

12 Likes

“What are the key questions you want answered?”

I’d like to know the right way to pronounce ‘Omicron’. The New York Times this morning suggests ‘aa-muh-kraan’ but is that just their New York accent?

4 Likes

I Googled the guy, he’s a real live virologist and knows his stuff so this might not be as bad as it appears.

https://pharmacy.ucsd.edu/faculty/siqueira-neto

6 Likes

Thanks for checking it for me!

3 Likes

A good family friend is a microbiologist with expertise in protein reactions between viruses and cells. He’s not necessarily an epidemiologist, but his entire market for two years has been COVID. (With a touch of cancer here and there). After this omicron stuff broke, he went and read the papers behind it, and then texted me exasperated.

“Do all the major news networks in the US lie about computer shit in order to scare people the way they’ve spent the last year lying about COVID and my field?”

And then he went on a tear down of why this is just blatant fear mongering and lying and told me he thought CNN and NPR and the like were better than this bullshit.

So, I pulled the last few articles from MY field, computer science, and read the papers behind THOSE news articles. And… whew boy.

I’m not saying Omicron is nothing, but if the people who definitely know say they’re overreacting, they’re overreacting.

13 Likes