Dr. Fauci speaks about the new Omicron variant of COVID-19

That and 'oh-mih-kraan are both given as typical American pronunciations. Across the Atlantic they also stress it differently as oh-'my-kraan. For the record, it is the same root as in words like micron and microscope; it literally means the small O. The big O is omega.

11 Likes

The “Santorum variant”? DO NOT WANT.

7 Likes

pronounced that way makes sense to me but sounds a little bit like the start of a science muscial: “:notes: oh micron, you’re small, so much smaller than the rest :notes:

14 Likes

Watch out for that Heffalump variant :elephant:

9 Likes

And who’s going to line up for their Pooh shot?

11 Likes

smiley-channelde_rauchen001

4 Likes

Mostly I’m in the ‘well nothing to do about it but wait and see and keep following guidelines’ camp. Omicron might end up being really bad (the infectivity looks fucking terrifying) but it’s not like I’ve got any other plans up my sleeve.

6 Likes

Ah yes. Pachydermis Halucigensis.

3 Likes

If memory serves this is a big part of the point with targeting the the spike protein with the vaccines. It’s so core to how COVID works, and what makes it harmful. That any change large enough to fully avoid vaccine immunity, would most likely render it harmless.

We pretty much built these vaccines to specifically cope with this. A lot of the base ideas around RNA/DNA vaccines, and the rapid development approaches used roll out of work towards better flu vaccines. Eventually intended to create a true universal flu vaccine. And that’s four species that spin off new variants and strains every time you blink.

6 Likes
17 Likes

Ah, good call. I’m not quite sure how human med accreditation works (not a human Dr.).

Then I’ll revise my statement to “I’d like the boards in sane states (looking scornfully directly at you Texas and Florida) to pull licenses from medical “professionals” who actively ignore medical science and promote dangerous and harmful courses of action and therapies”.

7 Likes

Yeah. Not actually how it works in Texas.

Where is that gif of laughter turning into sobs?

8 Likes
7 Likes

Is Fox News for or against Nazis, I keep forgetting

11 Likes

When the Nazis can be depeicted as “Liberals” or “Leftists” the Nazis are “bad”.
When Tucker Carlson seems to invoke Nazi tropes about “replacement”, they’re “good”?

6 Likes

She would love to have Mengele on her show.

6 Likes

I remember there’s a joke or story about newspapers being horrifyingly inaccurate about a topic you know about, turning the page and believing every word written on topics you don’t.

Even when reporters have a beat like medicine or technology, they may not know anything about epidemiology or supply chains for microchips. I work in tech and know very little about the power plays of VCs and tech leadership. That’s all ignoring the bias of selection, editorial, and profit. It personally drives me nuts when newspapers print info released by a company unquestioned. Sadly, its the best we got.

1 Like

Only against nazis who aren’t their regular audience

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.