Baldur's Gate 3 announced

Yeah i’m not particularly psyched over a KOTOR movie but if it leads to more (good) single player games from it i can live with it. Wouldn’t mind some co-op but i’m more interested in single player for sure.

We used to have a weekly LAN party at my work where 6 of us would get pleasantly potted and then go in 6 adjacent (open) offices and play Baldur’s Gate. It was SO MUCH FUN

3 Likes

Personally, I love the decent pieces of animation most of the time though. I think the way Dishonored 2 did their trailers was the best. The announcement trailer for that game, and the later stand-alone release was gorgeous animation, and then every subsequent trailer was either in-engine footage, or videos specifically made to show off mechanics.

Why did I have to catch the video about Illithid reproduction during my lunch hour?

com-optimize%20(34)

1 Like

Can I interest you in the calamari?

2 Likes

Love, love Baldur’s gate. DOS:2 Is pretty good. It wasn’t quite as compelling for me. I still haven’t made it off of the first island, possibly because I so many other options atm.

1 Like

zoidberg

5 Likes

I may seek revenge by dinner, yes.

1 Like

And that’s fine, although I think announcement trailers should have at least a little footage as well. But there are too many game ads that rely on animation that isn’t gameplay for their sales pitch and the gameplay is not remotely the same. I view it as the same as false advertising. They are selling you a product, they should show you the actual, you know… product.

“Illithid” is like a code word to let someone know you are an actual D&D geek.

3 Likes

I don’t agree this is false advertising, for one its generally obvious when its not in-game and they also will plainly state if something is in-game or not.

These announcement videos are meant to be just that, an announcement. So it doesn’t need to include gameplay, and usually a lot of these titles are announced early where gameplay hasn’t been finalized or even started so there’s nothing to show. On the flip-side some companies (like Nintendo) try to hold announcements back until the game is really far along, but even then its still typical for the very first announcement to not include gameplay.

It’s not too dissimilar to movie trailers that release a teaser that literally gives you nothing to go on for what the plot of the movie is.

1 Like

aww, THAC0 is a huge D&D nostalgia button for me. to hell with updated, “better” systems, THAC0 was awesome.

2 Likes

[ Slowly hides campaign notes under laptop ]

2 Likes

2 Likes

My brother in law is having fun playing D&D with my 8 year old nephew D&D using 2nd edition, because that was the system he grew up with. “I’m teaching him THAC0,” he grinned at me conspiratorially.

1 Like

Yarp

2 Likes

Roll for Persuasion :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Nat20

3 Likes

Except that teaser trailer is generally footage from the movie. These animations are often not anything that appears in game, except maybe a cut scene. It’s not the product I’m buying.

And I did draw a distinction between game announcements and general game ads. When you’re first announcing a game, sure, some leeway on that can be made. You may not have enough of a finished product to show gameplay. When you’re advertising right before release or after? Yeah, in my opinion showing this instead of game play should be considered false advertisement. It’s not, my opinion doesn’t hold legal weight, it’s my opinion only. But that’s how I’ve felt for the last twenty years, and arguments otherwise isn’t going to change my view. I want to see what I’m buying.