Baldur's Gate saved the Western computer RPG nearly 30 years ago

Originally published at: Baldur's Gate saved the Western computer RPG

2 Likes

Baldur’s Gate 1 was three years of work from “roughly 15 people”. Baldur’s Gate 3 has roughly 3,000 people listed in its credits; it was in early access in 2020 and had a finished release in 2023.

I don’t think “once a decade” is likely to change for this series.

7 Likes

I still have the first one I borrowed from a friend. Need to give it back. I remember I only got about half way through it!

1 Like

It is 2031. Baldur’s Gate 4 is out. The manual lists 645,901 contributors. The Guiness Book of Records holds a party for Chaz Mondrell of Ipswitch, who broke the world record for staying awake just to watch the end credits.

It is 2049. The development studio working on Baldur’s Gate 5 says the game will not be complete for some time, may require another 4 billion prompt engineers, and they’re not sure there’s enough space for them in Ghent.

11 Likes

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

7 Likes

I beat Ice Wind Dale twice, as well as one through Pillars of Eternity once (I think there was some DLC I missed). Does that make up for it?

2 Likes

Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!

6 Likes

I know Baldur’s Gate and the sequel even more so sold gangbusters, but I’d argue that the original Fallout was the true saviour of the Western CRPG.

It came out a year before, and the sequel a year later was made by the same branch of Interplay that published the first two Baldur’s Gate games.

1 Like

Sure as hell didn’t save Interplay though. Invested in their stock when this came out. That didn’t end well.

I’d say the D&D video game franchise was in pretty rough shape by 1994-1995 but the idea that the western cRPG was “dead” at the time development on Baldur’s Gate started is a bit of an overstatement. Certainly Baldur’s Gate (and the other Infinity Engine titles) made D&D licensed computer games cool again compared to the flawed efforts that immediately proceeded it, but that franchise was hardly the entirety of the genre.

1 Like

Baldur’s Gate 2 was my entry to the franchise and its a masterwork. I tried playing the first one when they released the remaster and i didn’t love it, the gameplay was just too rough for me but perhaps i would’ve loved it if i had played it back in the day.

As far as “western RPGs” go for me my entry was Fallout 2, which remains as my all time favorite in the genre but Baldur’s Gate 2 and Icewind Dale are also outstanding titles.

5 Likes

Sorry most of my mid 90’s were taken up by playing this.

The late 90’s and most of my time in college was taken up by the sounds of head crabs and crowbars.

2 Likes

As Shar commands.

Let us also not forget the other Interplay published title that followed on BG’s heels in 1997.

1 Like

The lord of murder shall pe-rish!

As noted above, I think you’ll find Fallout actually came out before Baldur’s Gate.
Fallout 2 came out the same year as BG.

One thing that doesn’t get noted much when talking about these old Interplay games is how important they were to Mac gamers. I was one at the time, and Interplay were one of the only publishers releasing their games on both Windows and Mac concurrently.

I spent many happy hours with the Fallout demo on the Mac, and eagerly tore into the full game when it was released later the same year.
This also meant I got to play BG1 & 2 on Mac at release too.

The only other developer at the time who was treating Mac as an equal platform when it came to release schedules was Blizzard.

I’m not counting Bungie, as they were a Mac developer first and foremost at the time, with Windows versions of their games often being delayed, before they were acquired by Microsoft.

id eventually followed suit in 1999 with Quake 3.

Interplay, despite the clusterfuck of their eventual decline, were a great publisher in their time, at least to me and fellow Mac gamers.