Baltimore Museum of Art's restrooms to be named in honor of John Waters, for donating 375 pieces of art

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/14/baltimore-museum-of-arts-restrooms-to-be-named-in-honor-of-john-waters-for-donating-375-pieces-of-art.html

9 Likes

Congrats to the BMOA and to John Waters. His very name is a homage to restrooms.

19 Likes

So you are saying they should be called Waters Closets?

29 Likes

or John’s.

13 Likes

Waters’ Johns

15 Likes

Come for Waters’ art contribution, stay for the pu pu plater at the museum’s cafe.

9 Likes

cmon guys i usually come here for fun puns i post elsewhere … where is all the toilet humor?!

as an art patron myself, I wonder what drives others to purchase art, particularly art made by strangers - famous or otherwise. There is a tremendous selfishness in the act - to take something out as precious as art out of the world and hang it in a closed room; i support a no-art-inheritance rule. I praise waters and any other art patron who will donate their collections to the museums who appreciate and share them.

2 Likes

So he gave his art in lieu of a cash donation?

375 pieces? That’s quite a dump of art.

14 Likes

Amazing. I must at some point make a pilgrimage to visit the works donated by our lord an savior John Waters and sit on the porcelain throne

6 Likes

Imagine seeing Watersian exercises in transgression nestled between Middle Kingdom Egyptian statuaria and Ingre’s painted ceramics.

Knowing a little about Baltimore, I wondered why he didn’t approach the Walters Art Museum instead. He may have, but in addition to the likelihood of confusing press like “Waters at the Walters”, I suspect it was simply lack of space that nixed the donation.

That or they wouldn’t budge on renaming the restrooms.

4 Likes

How wonderfully apposite; and so kind of him toi let others enjoy his art.

5 Likes

Yay!

John Waters… USian treasure.

4 Likes

ahhh was it is it a gay tea room?

I’m down the road (relatively speaking) and I’ve yet to visit the Walters or the BMA. The Walters was actually on my short list before Covid hit.

3 Likes

JWC is probably the cheapest option.

1 Like

A great way to announce your gay sexuality would be to come out of the John Waters Closet.

5 Likes

I wonder?

1 Like

This man is amazing. If I were rich and effeminate I would be Mr Waters. But I am poor and butch, so I am me instead

5 Likes

Where do I remember this dude from. Some art film, I can’t place him. Go art!

Smart idea. It could be a thing for people who love a double entender.