Bank accidentally deposited $50 billion in a family's bank account

They do get to choose whether to report a crime, especially if it makes them look like idiots who deserve to have their stock price plummet.

4 Likes

Oh, I think they’ll want to report it once the money is safely back in their hands. What’s to stop them? Their word?

Would you bank with a company that accidentally misplaced $50B? I wouldn’t. The PR would cost more than the extortion amount.

2 Likes

I would choose such a bank over the scumbags at Wells Fargo or BoA any day.

1 Like

Hanlon’s Razor.

1 Like

Sometimes the difference between malice and incompetence is pretty clear.

Bank of America named in mortgage fraud lawsuit.

1 Like

Most money in an economy isn’t printed by a central bank but rather created by banks whenever they issue loans out.

1 Like

You can buy a 24-hour certificate of deposit. Interest rates are under 1%, but I think it would still work out :slight_smile:

You might even be able to buy them from the bank the money is already in!

A bankquet?

I don’t know how it would work in a US bank, but back when I worked in a Western Australian bank in the 1980’s, a reversal of a deposit was done with a specific code.

This meant that as far as the computer system was concerned, the deposit never happened, so no fees, no interest and no taxes would be generated.

1 Like

their wish list might look silly now or… is it…

I like my shirts washed pressed and neatly folded…
and possibly scented

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.