Banksy's art shred 'every time' in rehearsals, but malfunctioned at Sotheby's

Why are we supposed to care about this again?

2 Likes

So you are saying he is killing it!

3 Likes

Gives us something to do while we wait for the next apple update.

3 Likes

I can see your point, and agree that the art market is a massive scam/artwork in its own right. However, dying penniless isn’t a mark of quality in and of itself. If Banksy can net himself a few million narco/petro/klepto/ego dollars, then more power to him.

6 Likes

Beschizzy

3 Likes

There is no ‘Banksy’ and there was no ‘buyer’.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that set the whole room on fire?

Where is this real, hardcore, revolutionary street art to be found whose existence you seem to imply in your comment?

1 Like

This appeared overnight next to the busiest ferry port in the south east of the UK, next to the busiest road in that city.

I don’t think ‘that’s a lot of work just for a stunt’ is really the way Banksy thinks.

10 Likes

6 Likes

Oh, yay, another story about a pretentious piece of Banksy art. That is, a piece of Banksy art. I need at least another three of these, like every day. Forever.

Art should be dangerous… at least fun art should.

ETA “I may not know art, but I know what’s trying to kill me.”

4 Likes

The ‘spoon’ was a lie and there was no ‘cake’.

1 Like

I’m eating cake with a spoon right now. It is lovely cake. You can really taste the… cake… in it. And the spoon? That’s really spoony too. Which pill did you take? The blue one was the right choice, wasn’t it?

2 Likes

Basquiat/SAMO established street/outsider stuff as a relevant art inroad to an otherwise ignored culture; they sorta drained the ‘revolutionary’ well for awhile along with Keith Haring’s later, street-adjacent, more accessible vibe. Now that it’s an established thing there are a lot of talented muralists that get commissioned to do buildings and produce coverage for the genre but not specifically as individuals, with a few notable exceptions. Standouts for me personally would be the Pandolfo twins from Brazil, Titi Freak’s high-contrast stroke style is really cool, and I’m in love with Vhils’ method of carving the surface of a building into a relief with chisels to create an artwork that’s part of the building itself.

But to be fair, here’s a rare audio recording of Banksy discussing his/their thematic process which he/they used to come up with masterstrokes such as ‘Pulp Fiction dudes holding bananas instead of guns’, ‘balloon floats away but get this-- it’s a heart’, and ‘protester throwing rock but get this-- it’s a bouquet’.

1 Like

Well said, I absolutely agree. My personal critiques mean less than nothing and I genuinely can’t fault the dude/dudes/people for cashing in with that much money being thrown around. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, we’ve all got an opinion. I think that is what art is about :smiley: I mean, there is no absolute truth or beauty; it is all subjective :wink:

1 Like

You could always set it up to self extinguish with some chemical reaction.

It worked exactly as planned.

Got everyone talking about a bit of performance art that the buzz had died back down a bit on.

Buzz=value.

2 Likes

I like your thinking! Though if it didn’t extinguish as planned, he could still have burned the whole place down. But if the shredding didn’t go as planned, he wasn’t likely to shred the whole place down :laughing:

2 Likes