Barbaric, backwards ancestor worship

I agree, a healthy portion would be related to class structure. Fucking Normans.

4 Likes

People call me a pedant, but that’s not exactly the correct word.

22 Likes

The English language is a dynamic that is ever maintained by the old and new school; the proper and improper; the sacred and profane.

Ears

1 Like

Trudat

2 Likes

I feel you are unjustly accusing your correspondent of obsfucating with obsfucate.

A good vocabulary can provide a concise expressiveness not achievable with so called ‘10 cent’ words, where, if limited to such, one might have to use many words and still fail to capture the essence of one’s message.

7 Likes

I think the worst thing that could happen to English is for it to become obsessed with linguistic purity as has happened with French and the AcadĂ©mie Française. “Linguistic purity” and “English” are mutually exclusive concepts.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, that reminds me of my “other” pet peeve

In Welsh there are a lot of words which are direct phonetic translations of English words - commonly technological words like “Internet”, “computer” etc. There are Welsh words for them, they just seem posh and a bit convoluted to use in informal speech.

So when my English friends hear words they understand, I’m mocked for “not having a word in [my] language for xxx”, or worse that Welsh people are “stealing” words from other languages!

It’s at that point I usually bring out the counter of “how about words like restaurant or rendezvous” and all the other thousands of bastardised words from disparate languages - to which I’m almost always met with a “hmph, that’s different, innit” or some sort of hand-wavey argument

10 Likes

Because of course Saxon England was a democratic classless utopia.

7 Likes

And in the far future mothers will scold their children for not using the correct pronunciation of “that shit is mad wack, yo. Fa’real, na’msayin?”

Personally I won’t be satisfied until we go back to Middle English (or preferably Olde English 800.)

5 Likes

I’ll throw in that it’s not the new words which bother me, but that there is half a dictionary’s worth of old words–obscure, archaic, wonderfully full-of-character words–that are dying away when they’ve still got plenty of vim and vigor left to offer.

9 Likes

Old English, like the other West Germanic languages, had already dropped certain case endings, even certain nominative singular endings. nominative frakking singular.

2 Likes

The OP had me at “a glorious drunkard’s debauch of a language.”

4 Likes

As long as we keep in mind that ‘evolving’ and ‘enriching’ a language is not the same as ‘being borderline illiterate, not knowing how to use apostrophes or correct spelling of existing words, and using that as an excuse for laziness’.

9 Likes

As soon as the meaning of the words being communicated is totally obfuscated, then you’re incomprehensible. Nobody speaks with a desire towards less clarity (with a few exceptions). Your attitude betrays a lack of understanding about how language actually works. People generally take the shortest path to being understood, not the longest path to using language no one understands. I hate to break it to you, but if someone is saying something that you find to be obscure, you’re probably not part of the intended audience or aren’t part of the clique. It’s you who lacks fluency, not the speaker.

5 Likes

I enjoy some dialect but I hate it when people tell me to turn “leff”.

2 Likes

Sorry Cory, you’re 100% wrong on Gove and teaching poor kids how to communicate effectively. It’s one of a number of key advantages that kids in the private sector get that set them up to outcompete their state sector counterparts. Gove was being realistic. For the reset of their lives potential employers, universities, officials, perhaps police will all make judgement about people they interact with, based in part on the way they speak. An ability to communicate effectively with a range of people depends on a ability to be understood, which depends to an extent on an ability to communicate using commonly understood vocabulary in a way that’s appropriate to the audience. Posh kids do it, no-one at Eton will get away with saying innit to a teacher, kids in the state sector should get the same leg up.

2 Likes

SJ scold scolds language scolds.

Nicely put, except 
 that’s not what Gove said.

If that’s what he meant then he was betraying that very education system from which he came, with a poorly communicated message.

He would have done far better to quote you.

1 Like

Think you meant to use double-quote marks there, buddy
 :trollface:

Bear in mind that early English spelling and punctuation was entirely non-standard. That standardization is invented.

Literafy ifn’t meafured by ability to adhere to a ftandard, only by ability to rede, underftand, and convay informayshun. If u underftand wut I rite, wy is it objectivlee rong? Konsider prezerving etimolojical legacees for words lyke “through.” Wy bother? Its poyntless and does nothing but surv as a barrier to peepul hoo have better things to du with there time than adhere to a convenshun that can’t be lojicly justifyed as being remotelee practicul.

Boy, that was fun.

7 Likes