Barnes & Noble's releasing a $50 Android tablet that does all the things Amazon won't let Kindles do

I’ve just replaced the screen on my old one. I’d suggest to open the Kindle and assess the damage, if it’s just the screen you can buy a replacement online for $20 like I did. It’s really dead easy: unscrew, detach, replace - no soldering required, no special skill required beyond knowing how to use a screwdriver.

If the actual motherboard is ruined, that’s another matter; but the screen is a piece of cake.

1 Like

if there was a good way to root it…

So many buried feelings favoring Timely…oh well.
Does passivity count? Nice YC article yesterday on torproject.org makes suggestions, but letting it outside of a Faraday Cage (or walking by luggage stores) seem nearly enough. You mean there aren’t good prerolled kits rolling XAdevelopers forums or whatever it is? As opposed to browser exploits, sandbox breaking, and picking a reasonable reimaging from there?

1 Like

Like, a 20 minute piece of cake, or more like 40?

2 Likes

But that’d rob me of the excuse to get one with a glowy screen.

That said, I’ll look into it…there are several other, more essential things on the list in front of that.

This video is quite representative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKKacNQ-8Wo

1 Like

Well, before I replaced the screen, I did get a new Voyage :wink: but the old one will go to the kids.

1 Like
  • Tablet to count to 3 on kid going off the rez. on youtube, then run sitting on stairs emulator
  • Includes replacement screen in 20 months that’s 17" with proportional bumpers and 5K
  • Ergonomic coaching to unlock, prevent nearsightedness etc.
1 Like

They’re already up to Android Vanilla?

I must have missed a few releases.

4 Likes

You can. I’m perfectly happy using my smartphone as an ereader as well, but you may not have one of those.

I’ve never had problems with eyestrain. Switching to sepia or white-on-black, and adjusting the brightness level, is all I’ve ever needed to do.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.