BASE jumper plunges to death in Grand Canyon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/08/03/base-jumper-plunges-to-death-in-grand-canyon-jump.html

4 Likes

The vicitm’s name is being withheld as they have not yet been identified.

???

What are they withholding then? That they’re calling them John Doe?

10 Likes

1 in 60 participants die?

I really don’t understand adrenaline junkies.

13 Likes

Fail Looney Tunes GIF

12 Likes

They know who it is, but they have to know it to a forensic legal standard before they make the call.

18 Likes

I see

5 Likes

Now other people have to risk their lives to collect the body. Jerk.

14 Likes

I used to parachute and do arial acrobatics. I totally want to fly through the clouds in a wing suit.

But BASE jumping? That’s effin’ insane!

14 Likes

:scream:

4 Likes

37787b6d-20f8-4e93-83fe-d813808c56e9_text

13 Likes

I’m reminded of the cheesy 1994 action movie where Charlie Sheen’s skydiving company is used to cover up a murder by pulling a body switcheroo.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is just about the adrenaline. There are plenty of ways to get an adrenaline rush with several orders of magnitude lower risk of death than 1 in 60.

4 Likes

I immediately thought of Drop Zone, staring Wesley Snipes

At the end, Snipes jumps off a skyscraper to catch the bad guy

I remember it being a fun movie.

4 Likes

c54e41da777afa85015f1b9da0f7f3fe

12 Likes

Every time I’ve skydived, the plane was actually… let’s just say, less than “perfectly good.”

They’ve were held together with duct tape and bungie cords – And it’s never a good sign when the pilot is also wearning a parachute.

5 Likes

Could be worse…

ezgif.com-optimize

7 Likes

Stories about base jumpers always remind me of this Burt Lancaster picture from 1969, for some reason.

5 Likes

I’m guessing that it’s banned because it’s so dangerous?

4 Likes

die hard falling GIF

4 Likes

We live near a small airport, we used to do some work there.

That airport was home to one of the largest skydiving clubs around, they were formed decades ago.

We worked there weekend mornings and enjoyed watching them jump.

I always wanted to try it.

One Saturday morning during their big annual event the plane crashed right after takeoff.

The pilot and 9 jumpers were killed, all the jumpers were under the age of 30.

We were there that morning.

My urge to jump was cured forever.

My height adrenaline gets tweaked by things like jumping on the glass floor atop the CN Tower in Toronto or putting on a harness and working on my roof.

Answering the unknown caller in the evening while watching TV is pretty risky.

I wouldn’t mind trying one of those parachute simulator giant fan things. That looks like a safe way to play.

6 Likes