Base model electric Ford F150 apparently handles and accelerates like a sportscar

Also, don’t forget they have the option for Blue Cruise assisted driving with driver distraction and fatigue prevention, which will have a lot of the same hands-free benefits of Super Cruise. :sunglasses:

Oh, and there’s a model that can double as a small-scale worksite generator.

Rolling coal is for [insert generic derogatory term of choice].

3 Likes

Meanwhile in Italy…

It’s not advised to use coal, use beechwood or oakwood, otherwise your pizza will taste bad.

5 Likes

On the other side of the pond is planned an electric Transit, while Fiat/Peugeot it’s already selling an electric Ducato/Traveller.
Business are interested on electric vans because most of them have a parking space and a three-phase high power electricity supply. They’re used on repeatable patterns and aren’t used normally for long trips.

https://www.ford.co.uk/future-vehicles/new-e-transit

https://www.peugeot.fr/nos-vehicules/e-traveller.html

5 Likes

Meanwhile, in the UK:

It’s not an either/or decision. Pretty much everything that makes a powerful engine (high compression, tighter tolerances, boost, E85 etc), can be used to create a highly efficient engine, and car companies want to have both a Power! engine that they can put in the top-of-the-line models, and a nice efficient engine for their cheap cars. Just look at the recent Ford GT, which uses Ford’s EcoBoost V6 instead of a massive V8, and makes more power than the old one, but with a different tune, it’s highly efficient.

5 Likes

The famous New York pizzerias like Patsy’s or Grimaldi’s use coal-fired ovens.

I think you should look up some tesla drag racing videos. The new Plaid is the fastest production car in the world but even before that they’ve been embarrassing gas powered cars at the drag strip for years. They are not slow in the 400 meters by any stretch of the imagination.

1 Like

I think the Plaid has been pipped by the Rimac C_Two ?

Sure has! Butt I wouldn’t count it as a production car until owners are actually driving it on the street; none of the Rimacs have shipped to customers yet as I understand it. (The racing has been “production prototypes”)

Ban cars.

2 Likes

/shudders at the memory of the vacuum lines.

1 Like

A truck at that price that is actually useful is an investment in a tool. If it’s a toy, it’s expensive. Same as how motorcycles seem cheap until you realize their limited utility for most things, thus they must be a secondary vehicle for most people. Suddenly they are expensive when framed correctly. I stand by my earlier statements about the cybertruck. It’s a ridiculous toy for people with a lot of disposable income.

Also, lifted trucks that roll coal around Alberta are also not used for real work. Look for the ones with dents, traces of manure in the bed, equalizer bar mounts, and three different trailer plug connectors.

7 Likes

I expect you also agree that the overwhelming majority of trucks also fall into this category. Most trucks are not used for work as you define it as most truck owners would be better served with another style of vehicle. These people style themselves “TRUCK PEOPLE” and wouldn’t be seen with anything else because the truck implies membership in the working class (nevermind the truck is less than 5 years old and costs $80k).

That said, not all work trucks are used on a farm and I would suggest that the Tesla truck is just as useful (if not more) than the Ford for the types of use where an electric truck makes sense.

2 Likes

Indeed. I’d go so far to say that nobody who works in a city or suburb needs a truck, ever. Around here contractors or workers use everything from something like this

to something like this.

(Hence @Mike.71 mentioning Transits and Ducatos above)

Anyone who works in an urban environment (and, frankly, most rural environments) and tells you they need more than that is lying because they feel inadequate without a big truck around them.

Even as field archaeologists who would regularly transport dirty earth moving tools and would often drive around building sites and open fields we only ever used this style of vehicle.

5 Likes

I’m no fan of big trucks and agree that the majority of folks don’t need them, but there are still plenty of folks who work in suburbs for whom a reasonable sized truck makes a lot of sense. Landscapers and gardeners in my area typically drive old (sanely sized) Toyota pickups. When you’re hauling around a bunch of gasoline powered lawn equipment or manure-soaked shovels, something with an open bed makes a whole lot of sense.

3 Likes

So what’s the problem with the open bed Ford Transit I depicted above?

2 Likes

That transit IS a truck, as far as I’m concerned. And in some respects it’s a worse truck than the small, regular cab Toyotas that I was talking about:

1. The extended cab makes it larger and hard to park. Not everyone needs an extended cab.

2. The height of the cab and form factor of the vehicle makes it harder to use an over-cab truck rack that’s commonly used by contractors to carry ladders, long lumber, etc.

2 Likes

CyberTruck seems terrible to me for what I use my pickup truck for, but to each their own. Mine is the family RV for camping, surfing, scuba diving, and driving with the dogs. I also do 2 trips or so a year to a nursery for plants, soil, and gravel. I do not use the truck for anything much to do with work but an electric Ford seems awesome to me while the CyberTruck looks like a status symbol.

5 Likes

In really depend of what kind of work they’re doing. A Transit or the like with tiltable bed is used by construction workers, when they have to move some gravel or sand. They’re larger and they nomally require a lorry driver license to be drive, becuse they could load heavy cargo.

2 Likes

And don’t understimate the awesomeness of the Panda, especially in medieval towns with narrow streets :wink:

5 Likes