Base model electric Ford F150 apparently handles and accelerates like a sportscar

There are smaller versions, not bigger than a normal Transit. The extended cab one was just the first image I found. I would say this is a van, not a truck but that is a question of definitions. The point is that nobody needs an off-road vehicle in the city or suburbs except as a status symbol.

I will grant you the higher roof, although I have never seen anyone have a problem with that.

2 Likes

I guarantee you that the gardeners in my neighborhood hauling around their lawnmowers in beat-up old 1980’s era Toyota pickup trucks are not driving them as some sort of status symbol.

4 Likes

My work uses a Mercedes eSprinter – sufficient range for some local client sites

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/vans/en/electric-vans

2 Likes

The “look” of the Cybertruck was always going to be a polarizing factor but in the end that’s all it is. From a value, functionality and utility standpoint however, the Cybertruck beats the Ford for a similar price. Go further, charge more places, charge faster, greater durability, better automation, included tonneau and ramp, etc., etc…

1 Like

Bold predictions for something that doesn’t even exist in production form as of yet.

3 Likes

Or the 4x4 in the Alps.

1 Like

Seems unlikely Cybertruck will win in functionality and utility when entering a market with decades of aftermarket equipment designed for the Ford, and that Ford ensured they were compatible with moving forward vs a truck with a body shape designed for looks vs function.

4 Likes

Fair caution. I’d draw your attention to similar comparisons for every other vehicle produced by Tesla to similarly priced competition as the basis of my confidence but you are correct that we haven’t seen either truck roll off the production lines yet.

This is certainly a big plus for the Ford. Probably compatible with your Sled Deck, Headache Rack, Light Bar, Cattle Guard, Truck Nuts and Lift Kits with few modifications so your aftermarket spending opportunities are sure to open up more quickly with the Ford.

The above is a bit saucy but that’s what comes to mind for me when you talk about truck accessories.

All you.

Campers, hard mounted tool boxes, in bed motorcycle and bike racks, all the things people who use the truck for more than looking shiny will want.

5 Likes

This is a good point. It’s also worth mentioning that Tesla as a company has a storied history of being actively hostile toward the aftermarket and Right to Repair for its products. These kind of things won’t fly with truck enthusiasts or professionals which is why I don’t see the Cybertruck being much more than a toy for status-minded consumers.

5 Likes

Sadly, I have an aversion to both Tesla AND Ford, so no electric truck for me. (unless the rivian turns out to be a sleeper hit, but the base model starts north of 50K.)

And all it really takes is tweaking the ECM, which is as simple as plug in the programmer and GO. (more or less…)

Yup. We have vendors for [RedactedCo] that drive trucks with ‘camper shell’ over the bed with an attached ladder and pipe rack, the camper shell has side doors on it for parts and storage. another vendor has a hard tonneu cover over the bed, and a sliding rack mounted in the bed for storage and accessibility. A third vendor has one with a replacement cargo bed that actually has cabinets, sliding drawers, an air compressor and a generator for a welder. All of that stuff is after market. I don’t see Tesla doing any of that.

My uncle had a custom motorcycle rack built into the back of the work truck he had. (he was the GM of a motorcycle dealership, and used to ferry motorcycles back and forth)

Part of the reason why I bought a truck was because I haul stuff around both for the company I work for, and for myself.

1 Like

Maybe not that one. I would assume with electric motors driving the wheels directly it’s a bit harder to mess with the axles.

1 Like

I think I like the name Tesla Tholian better than Cybertruck…

3 Likes

My Ford Fiesta has a granny shift light. If you follow it, the revs stay low and the gas efficiency stays high. However, if you don’t and let the revs climb, the power band transforms it into a pretty good rally car for a 1.6L.

1 Like

For people in the west possibly (although I manage without car/van/truck ownership) – but not most people.

When framed correctly in the west they make perfect sense for medium-short commutes, light delivery, congestion, air quality, parking.

Well, yes. That is clearly who we are talking about, since the conversation is about full size electric trucks. This seems unnecessarily argumentative.

You introduced the assumption that motorcycles were of limited utility (and were therefore expensive toys). I framed that differently and included some reasons why they are not a secondary vehicle for most riders and why wider use could make life better in towns and cities.

Juul has pivoted to provide for that market.

Black Sheep pizza in Minneapolis makes excellent pizza in a coal-fired oven.