Bathroom hand-dryers suck in poo-particles and aerosolize them all over you and everything else

Wow Cory linked through sci-hub. I can’t figure out if I should cheer or cringe.

How I read the headline (I really need to stop ruminating on politics):

Also this…

12 Likes

“Bathroom hand-dryers suck in poo-particles and aerosolize them all over you and everything else”

Is it true Trump wants to make one of these his National Security Adviser? Oh, wait…

1 Like

I often wonder about how people who worry about public toilets cope with changing nappies.

5 Likes

Imperious Caesar, dead and turned to poo, just rolls trippingly off the tongue, that phrase.

2 Likes

I am neither a germaphobe nor a particularly clean person, but I have often thought that all public bathrooms doors should open outwards so you can just back through it without touching a knob. It’s especially bad when they’ve run out of paper towels and you know that knob is going to be wet…

2 Likes

Molecules.

3 Likes

Two thoughts. Ignorance is bliss and I am happy I have an autoimmune system.

3 Likes

Yet we aren’t catching diseases from this. Maybe a little poop up your snoot is harmless.

Yes. From this… or the other way.

My wife got that after a surgery.
IT WAS SO FUN!

Well people take Bacillus subtilis as a probiotic supplement. I’m talking about diseases like hepatitis, E. Coli, Staphylococcus Aureus, etc. where serious complications result.

I’m not saying it’s not possible to catch them from hand dryers. But where is the data if this is happening?

6 Likes

Did the experiment also compare toilet lid down vs. toilet seat up? From the summary, those lidless, auto-flush toilets are the source of the problem.

1 Like

I don’t know, but, speaking generally, I’d imagine that, at least, sometimes certain data does not exist because 1) it is not ‘targeted’ or specifically checked for among targeted data (those who use ‘tuneable’ gas analyzers would know what I mean), and 2) the conditions aren’t right; would hand dryers turn up hepatitis, et al, in areas much more likely to be frequented by the related sufferers? I have no idea.

“Arseolised”

2 Likes

1 Like

This is why one of those foaming Purell dispensers should be outside all public bathrooms. It’s key that the are the foaming kind.
I really appreciated this in an office where I used to work. They were there and at the break room entrance.

Clearly water streams used to wash hands contribute to aerosolization of all kinds of nasties. I am sure a sensitive enough study would show that people who wash their hands after pooing transfer some into water droplets that others touch and even breathe.

As has been said many times, the dose makes the poison. If you don’t have quantifiable numbers to compare with the alternatives then this sort of study is useless to general public even if it may have some research value. Surely wiping your hands on your pants instead of using an air dryer is worse. Towels are extremely effective at trapping particles from the air. Who is to say they don’t do worse at transferring back on to the hands.

Personally I suspect the best way of reducing cross contamination in today’s touchless bathrooms is at the door handles for the stalls and exit. If everyone wiped handles down with toilet paper for stalls or towels for doors we would surely be better off than removing dryers. I saw an L shaped piece of metal as a handle on a bathroom door which allows one to open the door with forearm instead of hand. Or just have a wastebaskets by the door so towels can be disposed after wiping the handles.