Batman wants you to support the war effort

Originally published at: Batman wants you to support the war effort | Boing Boing

3 Likes

7 Likes

That means if a boy was 10-12 years old in 1966, he’d probably be holding his draft card not too much later.
Holy death sentence, Batman!

12 Likes
5 Likes

“If only I can reach for … this package of Bat Agent Orange … in my…utility belt…”

9 Likes

Honestly, I wish this stuff was still done today – propaganda to raise bond money to pay for wars. It’s the next best thing to compulsory military service for keeping the public engaged and thinking about whether or not they, as citizens, support the wars our government participates in in our names.

5 Likes

I agree, I mean, did the US public even know there was a full fledged, declared war happening for most of this century? When it started, the public was asked to go shopping at the mall, not to save and buy war bonds.

5 Likes

Thanks! Updated the post with that Tweet.

1 Like

Exactly. It amazed me the pearl-clutching that both the Right (“We surrendered like yellow dogs!”) and the Left (“We failed to protect women and children from the Taliban!”) engaged in when Biden ended the war in Afghanistan. Where were these people during the 20 years we had troops there in harm’s way?

2 Likes

Fighting wars in foreign places using poor kids as cannon fodder is and always has been bipartisan policy.

7 Likes

And easy to ignore, if it’s not constantly in your face. I’ll bet a sizable percentage of Americans didn’t even know we still had troops in Afghanistan when Biden decided to pull out last summer. I actually wish we had compulsory service in the U.S. (military, Peace Corps, or Americorps – your choice, few exemptions) so that all citizens were forced to think about these endless, stupid wars we keep having.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.