Battlefield Moments

On TF2 I pretty much just became a regular at a server that I liked one evening when I played it and the teams broke down pretty evenly and there was a lot of chatter and teamwork and, more importantly, few jackasses. Since I like teamwork and hate jackasses I came back to the same server later on.

Kind of like finding a bar you like, you just have to try a lot of servers until you find one that works for you. Everyone has different schedules and I ended up playing around 11PM with some guys in Australia who had gotten off work at the time,

So I don’t typically get involved in organized games (kids take priority sometimes in meatspace), I just find a group of guys who seem okay who need someone who likes to loosely team up.

1 Like

Ain’t there no love in the hood for trench warfare?

Or at least Glitch Mob remixes?

Or the Harlem Hellfighters featured in the game storyline?

October 2016!

(It looks like this will be a somewhat fictional WWI otherwise it’d be boring as hell to play, obviously. Automatic weapons and grenades barely existed in WWI, and tanks and planes were super primitive, which shifts the focus to infantry – not a bad thing given how dominant vehicles can be in “modern” battlefields.)

1 Like

I should have mentioned, WWI is a return to origins of sorts, the first real DICE multiplayer game was this crazy Codename Eagle thing from 1999/2000:

Why was it so special? Codename: Eagle had tanks and planes and turrets and motorcycles and trucks and jeeps and infantry and even blimps and helicopters all in the same game. This was over a year BEFORE Battlefield: 1942, but all the ingredients were there. And even better, they just mixed together into the ultimate game experience. It’s clear that DICE knew they were on to something: Battlefield 1942 dropped the single-player pretty much entirely just to focus on the awesome multiplayer they’d struck on with Codename: Eagle.

Let me go on record: Codename: Eagle multiplayer was so good it makes me, to this day, want to cry. It’s so good I get choked up. It didn’t matter that hardly any maps worked: We played this thing 'til our faces bled.

Somehow I completely missed out on this game. Apparently it was a bit bigger in Europe.

1 Like

1 Like

Lee Enfield REPRESENT!

Yes, I am an ARMA 3 nerd. In the Battle Royale mod the Lee is the BFG, goes “thud” (and not bang) and will kill in one shot to any area on a character model as well as set off the gas tank of any vehicle if you hit it on the filling cap.

Battlefield 1 is shaping up to be much, much better than I anticipated:

The alpha was so-so but the fuller beta now live on this desert map is … really quite amazing. I’m particularly happy they ditched the meaningless “levolution” map change events, in favor of ambient weather / fog / day / night as well as a “behemoth” that spawns in about halfway into the match for the losing team. An armored train on the desert map, and a zeppelin on the town map. It’s a way better game design mechanic.

Having weaker WWI era vehicles also makes infantry more relevant.

The flamethrower and super heavy machine gun map pickups are crazy fun as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 1208 days. New replies are no longer allowed.