BBC coverage of 1990 tax riots in London

I have it on good authority that Brian never puts the toilet seat down.

:grin:

4 Likes

Looks like he doesn’t flush either.

brian

4 Likes

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!

:rofl: :laughing: :rofl:

2 Likes

That whole album is full of gems… in a way, the prince song isn’t even the best one…

4 Likes

I preferred Chumbawamba’s song about the 1997 election.

They saw the betrayal coming.

4 Likes

Absolutely. So many amazing songs, but The Last Days of Our Acquaintance might be my favorite off the album, showing off her amazing range and going from soft and contemplative into absolute raging at the end. Beautiful live, too, from some of the concert footage I’ve seen (never had the pleasure of seeing her live).

2 Likes

She was touring the US just before everything started shutting down… I hope she continues… whenever things… do whatever they’re going to do? I’d really love to see her.

3 Likes

The problem is it’s wrong.

Ah. You must be ‘someone on the internet’. :wink:

(Sorry - irresistible XKCD reference.)

Actually, it’s just ‘different’.

Works very well for me. Hard to capture a screenshot with the things in the black bars (progress bar, titles) as I have to move cursor to capture partial screenshot.

Maybe it’s how your browser is rendering it?

ETA
Here’s a better rendering of why I think it’s better. Titles and progress bar not laid over video.

Then closing ranks, covering it up, lying, slandering the victims… and on and on. Not to mention parts of the press being complicit in the lies and propaganda.

The 2011 riots felt like something fundamental was about to change but as you pointed out it’s like it never happened. It was a scary time but i thought something has to change here but no, we had the narrative being fed to the newspapers that it was only about looting for fancy shoes rather than institutional racism.

5 Likes

I was reading copper forums during 2011.scary fucking shit from a bunch of guys who wouldn’t be out of place in the US right now.

2 Likes

Yeah, those 2011 riots in the UK and the LA riots in '92, at the time felt very like what’s happening in the US right now.

But what’s happening now is an order of magnitude larger.

3 Likes

As pointed out above we seem, somehow, to just forget about it every single time surprise! . See also France as another place this repeatedly happens, out of sight out of mind.

I remember a few years ago this was rereleased and they were saying that now you wouldn’t get commissioned to make the film (though then you wouldn’t have got invited to the Tate to talk about it).

2 Likes

Perhaps it was just my perspective, but in a lot of places (not everywhere) the 2011 riots were just about looting fancy shoes

2 Likes

5 Likes

Alas, one can’t say Boris didn’t get voted for.

Given a nice clear choice between a) Jeremy Corbyn and b) a self-confessed liar and cheat who promised a Brexit which anyone with even half a brain must have realised was utterly impossible to deliver - the British public voted for Boris.

It’s the British public’s most endearing and exasperating habit: “I’m not sure about Labour, I think they’ll damage my financial well-being so I’ll vote for the Tories who have a firm track record of fucking my life up but keep promising me that I’ll have the chance to be filthy rich some day just as soon as I figure out how to be reincarnated as the progeny of a staggeringly filthy rich person, sorry fulfil my economic potential/get a fair crack of the whip/cease to be held back up the shackles of the nanny state/insert whichever meaningless phrase Dominic thinks will appeal to the target demographic”.

6 Likes

Someone should tell them they will be richer under the Lib-Dems. It’s true, and they are slightly better than the Tories.

2 Likes

Well, just a few thousand Tory Party members voted him in the first time, the second time was totally the general public’s fault.
Not me, I wouldn’t vote to put him out if he was on fire.

3 Likes