Bears would just eat zombies right up

Perhaps zombie flesh is unpalatable to scavengers.

Perhaps eating a zombie turns a scavenger into a zombie.

Regardless, I had this epiphany: zombies don’t feel pain and they crave flesh. If a crow lands on a zombie thinking it’s a delicious carrion feast, even if that crow starts violently ripping flesh off the zombie, that zombie is still going to grab the crow and eat it.

If a zombie is being eaten by a bear, the zombie is going to actively try to rip into the bear’s flesh and take a bite out of the bear, and that zombie will keep trying until its brain is destroyed.

I think that might be unsettling for scavengers. I think they might learn to go for easier prey.

2 Likes

Resulting in zombie bears. NOT COOL. IN NO WAY COOL AT ALL.

2 Likes

Actually playing dead is the right response for certain types of bear exhibiting certain behaviours.

A grizzly bear is not typically going to hunt humans, and is likely either doing a bluff charge or trying to protect a food source (or its cubs). If it is charging your best bet is to stand your ground (believe me, this is not easy). If it makes contact your best hope is to play dead - curl up into a ball, protect your head, neck and guts - and hope it goes away.

A black or brown bear will also do the same things. But if it is stalking you (approaching you steadily, looking right at you as in the video below) then it has decided you might be worth a taste. A small percentage of black bears will become ‘predatory’, and in that case playing dead is NOT the right answer. Fight with everything you have, scare it off. Male lots of noise and get away.

1 Like

Edit missed @gwwar’s post…

1 Like

M00se bites can be pretty painful, you know.

And yes, Mira Grant’s Feed and followon books rock**. I’m not a fan of zombies, blood, gore, etc., but Feed was an excellent political/journalistic thriller that had a zombies in it. She talked about the research process; she’d call the CDC a lot, ask them questions about “Hi, I’m a science fiction author trying to come up with a plausible-sounding zombie disease, would something like ____ make sense?”, and after a while the questions were getting refined enough that they were starting to want to make sure this was really just going to be fiction, and she wasn’t actually planning on mixing up Marburg and mutant common cold viruses in a lab somewhere.

** As do Seanan McGuire’s books, when she’s writing under her usual name and not the Mira Grant types.

1 Like

If it’s walking around, it’s not carrion. (Or shambling, or doing the Frankenstein shuffle, or whatever.)

2 Likes

I think the advice about playing dead during a bear attack is based on most attacks being the she-bear with cubs, So making yourself look as harmless as possible will make the mother lose interest. The follow up is to keep still for a long time until the bear wanders off.

I recall the story of one goof that tried to scare off a bear cub, got mauled until the bear got bored, then jumped up and ran away so he got mauled a second time.

I was hunting with some guys who were posted in a line for a deer drive. We saw no deer but everyone told me that a bear and two cubs had wandered up behind me and been sniffing around me while I watched for the deer in the opposite direction. I never saw them.

1 Like

Oooh! I smell a movie starring Samuel Jackson.
Let’s also get jackals, vultures, hyenas, buzzards and other carrion eaters into the picture and I think we have a hit.

1 Like

If there’s one thing worse than a bear - it’s a zombie bear.

1 Like

No the bears vision is based on movement. So long as you stay perfectly still it wont see you. It was mentioned in a film although the title escapes me now.

2 Likes

The bears would incapacitate first. I’ve heard of a lot of instances where they’ve bitten peoples faces off.

Chimp’s would be a good defence against zombies. They attack the face and genitals first. Nothing could withstand that! :smile:

1 Like

A similar issue to Scritonite Armour in TV series like Knight Rider and Air Wolf, where the eponymous vehicle was as bulletproof as required by the script tonight.

1 Like

Mira Grant’s zombie research was pretty interesting, if you can get through books where a good 15% of the word count seems devoted to describing characters repeatedly going through some sort of blood test or another.

Everything else about the trilogy was nonsensical. It’s weird to read a book and think “wow, she really did her research on zombies, but she doesn’t seem to have ever talked to a real journalist.” Her whole fictionals/newsies/Irwins division is so laughable it almost made me give up on the first book when I realized she was seriously going to use these throughout the book. That this series gets praise for “world building” is a stark reminder of just how bad even good genre fiction often is.

I was glad I stuck with the trilogy, however, because the final book, Blackout, is the best in the series IMO and moreorless makes up for the weaknesses of the first two.

Um, that’s just not true. And actually a really dangerous rumor.

I was raised in Alaska. I was being somewhat facetious with the carrion comment - I actually do think I was told in survival class that bears don’t eat carrion, but that’s not the reason to “play dead” if you’re charged by a bear. The reason, as I remember, is the reason that @rocketpj points out - if a bear attacks (not follows, or stalks) then you’re pretty much going to lose a fight, so drop down and assume the defensive positions, knees to chest protecting your belly, hands behind your neck.

Of course being from Alaska all my instruction focused on brown bears, including Grizzly and Kodiaks. My understanding is that it’s more appropriate to fight back with black bears, who are not as aggressive (or nearly as large). I was also taught never to climb a tree because 1) black bears climb better and 2) most brown bears will catch you before you get high enough up anyway.

As for running, as the old joke goes, it’s only a good idea if you can outrun the person you’re with.

1 Like

Sorry it was meant as a joke reference to Jurassic Park :smile:

1 Like

I am too serious in the morning before I’ve had my coffee :smile:

3 Likes

We need to understand the evolutionary perspective on this…

Why did our branch of the homo family survived and Neanderthals et al disappear ?

Why do we only ever see Zombie Homo Sapiens ? No zombie dogs, not even zombie penguins ?

These two facts must be linked and Occams razor makes us choose the path that humans evolved Zombieness in order to deal with a particular environment and our Zombie bretheren took out competing forms of humans.

In evolutionary terms Zombiehood offers many advantages, most forms of fighting competitors and predators means that some of your own gene pool gets damaged or killed, but by recylicing homo sapien corpses, we can could fight predators and competing types of human.

In this we see a parallel between sickle cell anaemia and zombieness.

Both are responses to a hosilte environment that unfortunately exact a price for the benefits they give us in terms of protection.

Like sickle cell, zombiness seems to have evolved in a hot location, most instance of zombies are to be found in the southern states of the USA, Africa, etc, we *never see zombies in Norway or Russia. Which I think proves my point here. Where are the Inuit Zombies ?

Like sickle cell, there must be a genetic factor and also we observe that like most zombies are men, implying that it is a recessive gene that women carry but may not be affected by. This makes sense since in the stone age when zombies first evolved, brute strength would have been more useful.

This of course leads us to feminist zombies, since of course it is a woman’s right to choose for her body to become a zombie and modern medicine allows women to be free of patriachal biological constraints to take theiur full pplace in society and we know that as the number of women zombies (please not girl zombies), increases, we can expect them to become more creative and less violent.

The question of funding thus arises and there are two ovious choices, a Kickstarter project to develop the technology and the US military. Zombie soldiers would have several advantages beyond their unstaible desire for carnage.

Firstly political: there would be far fewer body bags coming home from foreign wars.

Second, the vast majority of service personnel don’t actually kill the enemy, for every front line soldier, sailor or airman there are many supporting them, moving and repairing equipment, shipping supplies, etc. Zombies don’t use weapons, they are weapons and thus the logistical tail for a zombie assualt force is not only vastly lower and cheaper ,it is alomst impossible for an adversary to sabotage. Zombies do not even need food, they can eat enemy troops.

Third, no one care about the fate zombies, so if they are taken hostage, no leverage is gained and of course zombies don’t surrender anyway.

Fourth, the majority of combat for the US forces at present is amongst moslem populations. The consensus amongst Imams is that the undead are about as unclean as it is possible to imagine and thus any contact with them will be anathema, maming their deployment more of a deterrent.

So we now understabd why nearly all reports of zombie are in the continental USA, the biosecurity of US research facilities is not what it should be and thus the NSA has for many years engaged in a programme of disinformation to engender the belief that “zombies aren’t real” by secretly funding films and TV that undermine the credibility of anyone who has seen a zombie.

Dominic Connor

3 Likes

Zombies are fictional like leprechauns and Eskimos.

2 Likes

Yeah, I notice that’s usually the case with any television show involving any person or item with any sort of “super-power.” It works how the script requires it to each week. But at least there’s some attempt at internal consistency and there’s background and explanation. Zombie movies, in addition to being inconsistent by dint of being different movies by different writers, often don’t even bother with the why or how questions (Romero gives “space radiation” as an explanation initially, but it’s clear the movie doesn’t take that seriously; ultimately it’s left unanswered), and when they do answer them, they’re not consistent across the different movies (or even within one movie). In zombie movie even the make-up design is implicitly making statements about “the rules” - i.e. if zombies are shown with any decay or maggots, that means they should rot away and/or be devoured by carrion-eaters over time. Most zombie narratives don’t even consider or care about that.

2 Likes

Zombies are subject only to the Rule of Cool. :wink: