Beatles "holy grail" record sells for $110k

[Read the post]

1 Like

So much of that “little girl” talk in early rock sounds really really wrong today – and there’s loads of it.

8 Likes

Helllloooooooo, bayyyyybe!

5 Likes

Paging Mr. Lewis, Mr. Jerry Lee Lewis, please pick up the red courtesy phone

9 Likes

Please God don’t let it be the property of that Shkreli fuck.

14 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Beatles, and I think it’s pretty cool that this record is still around, but can somebody tell me why it’s a “holy grail”? Does it fill an important gap in their discography (sessionography?) or something? Or is it just because this record is what got them their first contract?

It confers immortality on whosoever partaketh?

7 Likes

6 Likes

It sounds like hyperbole. The song was released with the Beatles Anthology so it’s not some unheard track or anything.

If it was the 27 minute take of Helter Skelter, then I’d be interested…

4 Likes

Cool, I love The Music Man!

3 Likes

Wow, it’s refreshingly shit! I guess it was a different time and A&R execs could hear things I clearly cannot.

2 Likes

Well, sure. $110k for a one of a kind original recording by perhaps the greatest band of the century? I can easily see that.

But a thousand dollars for an ordinary bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing? Yeah.

3 Likes

Hint: One of the sales in this comment thread will benefit charity :wink:

You see the same thing in novels, newspapers, etc. from that era. It was pretty universal. (And, yes, creepy.)

1 Like

Just try and read the lyrics of Elvis’s Little Sister without getting creeped out.

That’s cheap next to a silk screen of a Campbell’s soup can.

2 Likes

Damn that Warhol.

(No, seriously.)

2 Likes

You’re 16.
You’re beautiful.
And you’re mine!

(shiver)

1 Like

How old was Ringo when he wrote that? Over 30, I’ll bet.

EDIT: I did not know that was a cover. And he was 35, I win.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.