Behold the jukebox of tomorrow

That picture of Simon and Garfunkle. WRONG!

2 Likes

I don’t really get the mag stripe part; that makes the cards very expensive to make, though I appreciate that they’re more durable than paper cards.

You wouldn’t even need to use a QR code; if the artist / album / track details are printed in a standard format, you could reliably use OCR to pick the right track off Spotify or Amazon or Apple Music or wherever. (Or from a preloaded library, but using an online service would mean you could copy and trade cards and they’d work on any player without prior setup).

Also, it seems blindingly obvious that this should work by dropping cards into a hopper, which would play them in order and drop them out the bottom once they had played. Then you could make a playlist on the fly, store albums and mixtapes of any length as ordered stacks of cards, and so on.

Overall 1/10: they should have called it a PUKEbox!!! agh /flips table

2 Likes

This made me think of Dropmix.
RFID in the cards, no swiping required.
Queuing is done by stacking (IIRC, the Dropmix board can do ~12 cards/stack)

Still though, pretty slick.

2 Likes

I’d prefer pogs instead of cards.

Then you can battle your friends and take their songs.

7 Likes

Same. A friend introduced me to DropMix and it’s a lot of fun, but I remember thinking it would be neat if someone created a jukebox along the same principles. This is basically that, but I think I’d prefer the RFID interface as magnetic strips wear out faster. Since either way the cards just tell the software what library entry to play, I like the idea of being able to make playlists and assign them to specific codes.

1 Like

Drawback – mag striping has to be cheaper, and possibly more durable, than the thin RFIDs DropMix uses.

I haven’t tested on any of my cards (heaven forbid!) but I’d bet that one nice bend across the center would kill a DM card without chance of resurrection.

2 Likes

Without the sleeves (sometimes doubled as ads), I never would have learned of Frank Zappa!

2 Likes

I don’t miss old LPs at all. What I do miss is their album art (and ambitious covers that open up like books revealing more art and info). My favorite of this type; Olias of Sunhillow (Jon Anderson):

5 Likes

Yeah, not a hard decision to switch to homemade gifts when you’ve got a maker like this in the family… Among the adults in our family, the wish lists have devolved into socks and underwear, so I did some Chinese zodiac-inspired portraits of my sisters-in-law one Christmas and they went over quite well!

A wild SimonGarfunkle appears! You used Sounds of Silence, it was very effective!

6 Likes

Not a bad idea though the pogs is more visceral since you’re hulk smashing the pogs onto each other. Though its likely easier to get cards made.

2 Likes

If you break the circuit it would. On the other hand, if you take care of them, they should last indefinitely. The magnetic strips OTOH will eventually have to be replaced if they’re swiped enough times.

1 Like

Sounds like a feature not a bug (for record companies if such a thing were real).

2 Likes

This… While CDs have some of this it isn’t the same and of course mp3 downloads lack any of it.

4 Likes

Remember music? It’s back… in pog form!

2 Likes

images

3 Likes

I’ll have mine in pogue form.

4 Likes

On a similar note, the move in movies from discs to streaming seems to have killed off commentary tracks. Yes, many of them were boring (“We filmed this scene at 3am; the crew was tired and the catering service didn’t show up”) some of them (the in-character commentary on This is Spinal Tap, for example), were brilliant.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.