Behringer synthesizer maker wages bizarre attack against critic

All it takes is one sociopathic exec (in this case probably Uli Behringer, who has a history) and suddenly you’re releasing hit videos depicting a very respected critic (who’s also a very nice guy) as a cackling, hand-wringing, piss-sniffing Elder of Zion for saying true things about your products.

6 Likes

I’ve seen people get shocked by those mixers.

They just put the FCC compliance decal on them, without actually complying with FCC rules.

2 Likes

This one is only USB powered, and I just double-checked, fully expecting to be horrified, but no, it doesn’t even claim to do phantom power.

2 Likes

Can you recommend a softsynth for a newbie?

Do you have a DAW of choice at this point? Many of them come with softsynths and samplers which in many cases can be very good. I’m a Mac guy and Logic has been my go-to DAW for many years, and it comes with a good number of great softsynths and samplers.

If I was going for a bundle, this is worth considering – lots and lots of classic synths:

2 Likes

Hoo boy. Uli has definitely jumped the shark with this. I used to defend/excuse the niche that Berhinger occupies in the music equipment space. On the basis of providing accessibility, much like Mackie and Alesis did in the late 80’s and 90’s - relative to the market conditions of their times. (I picked up one their mixers when I was broke in my early twenties, (completely financed with coins accumulated from tips)). For lots of starving musicians it’s been possible to overlook a degree of “borrowing” of designs when the savings get passed on - and in many cases those designs weren’t being utilized anymore. This though - is beyond the pale, juvenile personal attacks with racial tinges, wtf? They recently built out a massive factory in Zhongshan, perhaps the stress of that compounded with the whatever troubles the coronavirus situation is possibly wreaking there has cracked Mr. B’s grip on common sense.

4 Likes

Cheap / free:

• Dexed for FM (open source and all platforms)
  • TAL-U-No (closed source and about to break for mac users since it is 32-bit) a Juno clone so very easy to use
  • VCV-Rack is popular and open source modular

Paid (but DRM free):

• u-he DIVA (Minimoog, Juno, parts of MS-20)
  • u-he Repro (Pro-One and Prophet 5)

Valhalla makes nice paid (but DRM free) reverbs if bored with DAW built-ins:

• Valhalla vintage is good for 70s stuff and 80s lexicons
  • Plate / room are general purpose
  • Shimmer is nice for Brian Eno ambient type effects

Drum Samples:
Some DAWS come with them (and you can dig up a bunch of free sets online) but if someone really likes a couple of specific drum machines you can sometimes get specific sample sets from Samples From Mars for like 10-15 bucks. It seems like once a year they sell them all at once for like 40 bucks. The reason why you might use these instead of free ones is they tend to be more complete (they give details on the site)

6 Likes

I have only used one Behringer synth: the Model D, and I think it sounds really good compared to software versions of the MiniMoog I have used before. The only time it was noisy was when I plugged something into the input jack on it, it was like there was bleed between the oscillators and external audio coming in when the volume was down on the sources of the bleed, but it’s possible I had some random setting engaged that would cause that. The build quality was better than a 100 dollar MIDI controller like an Oxygen, but worse than more expensive synths, which is not surprising.

I have thoughts on the labor issues and “cloning” but I’m not going to include those in this reply since you didn’t bring it up specifically.

They need to hire someone who is up on racist tropes and social issues to vet their communications and the litigious stuff could be toned down.

5 Likes

Not really the point here, but I have a more recent Meeblip and it’s a fun and dirty little machine for not much money.

The point here however is that a corporation decided to launch an in depth attack at an independent music journalist because he had the gall to report on their shitty business practices.

9 Likes

My best guess is that Uli has something of a chip on his shoulder, and has grown so weary of gear snobs dissing his products on esoteric elitist principles, rather than doing so in an objective manner. That said, I’m unfamiliar with Kirn’s work, and cannot defend Behringer’s jab.

Having seized the opportunity to grab some (four, at last count) of Behringer’s recent monosynth clones, I will attest that the performance, fit and finish of those machines is excellent, at any price. I am proud to have them in my collection. More importantly, they have made it possible for me to experience true analog synthesis at a level that I previously could not afford.

I’ll have to dig deeper as time permits, to better understand the situation, but I believe it’s reasonable to assume that Kirn and Behringer have had behind-the-scenes conversations to which we are not privy. I’m also willing to bet that Kirn has recently thrown shade at Behringer. The cork-sniffing metaphor certainly underscores Behringer’s frustration with gear snobs, who are unable to objectively review a piece of gear without factoring in MSRP.

1 Like

Thanks Nicky. I use Adobe Audition to edited podcasts, but I guess that’s not a DAW? I’m sorry, I’m a newbie. What I’m looking for is something like the software equivalent of the op-1.

1 Like

I own 2 Behringer products: a chorus pedal that I paid $25 for that has same circuit as the super-$$$ vintage Roland Dimension D Space Expander, and their Moog Model D clone. The pedal is cheap plastic, noisy, has no headroom and has now been replaced with the new Boss (Roland) DC-2W (same magik circuit but with headroom and build quality (and 10x the price of the Behringer)) but the Model D is awesome, zero complaints, and as close to a “real” Moog as I’ll ever get.

I understand everyone’s issues with Music Tribe’s practices, but they are putting out synths that are otherwise pure unabtanium to prols like me who just want to make music.

Why the fuck they thought this troll was a good idea is beyond me.

5 Likes

I’m very disappointed by Behringer here. I guess I should have known, from past behavior. My institutional purchasing budget will reflect that.

1 Like

Not really sure what all the childish behavior is about with Uli, but Behringer is my hero. Without Behringer (I am addressing their keyboard products here) most average working musicians, students and teachers would not be able to afford to own the original keyboards that they clone and make available to the public. Keyboard manufacturers and purists HATE Behringer bringing amazing facimiles to the everyday man at a fraction of the costs. I have seen some terrible comments from reviewers and posters concerning Uli Behringer and his mission to provide classic Synths to the masses…even when the patients have expirered, the critics rage on, dispite the fact other companies do the same but still charge top dollar! An average Moog Model D costs upwards of $3,500, Behringer makes it possible for someone like me to purchase one for under $300. I wish Uli and Behringer all the best, he is a musical, modern day Robin Hood! Thanks You Uli, I will continue to get as many of your keyboards as possible! Keep up the good work, just ignore the haters, they will never change!

2 Likes

Trumping is an advertising and marketing strategy now, I guess.

1. Act misogynistic / racist / ethnocentric / natioinalistic

2. cause outrage

3. profit

the “???” part has been moved into the feelings that we are left dealing with at the end.

3 Likes

The TAL synths are excellent and reasonably priced, and good starter synths that won’t overwhelm a newbie with a zillion routing options

3 Likes

Honestly, the OP-1 is just a basic synth and 4 (8?) track sequencer, you could have all its functionality and more in any DAW using free plug ins and save yourself a grand.

4 Likes

I’ve used a model D, and it sounds like the real deal, not like a soft synth. This is not too surprising, given that it’s a component-for-component clone of the original, just made with surface mount components in a robotic factory.

I’ve also used the deep mind, and it is absolutely unbelievable for the price, in terms of the sound (the sliders are not the greatest quality, though).

Their new line of synth clones are a huge departure from their previous gear, which was always complete crap. Credit where credit is due.

3 Likes

The ones that had this problem plugged right into the wall, and the power supply didn’t meet legally mandated safety requirements. This was like 20 years ago.

2 Likes

True! True!