Behringer synthesizer maker wages bizarre attack against critic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/02/behringer-synthesizer-maker-wa.html

3 Likes

Peter Kirn was always polite to me and always seemed fair in our dealings. I wonder what this was all about?

8 Likes

Peter Kirn is an excellent writer about music tech. He’s my go to guy. He’s critical, but very respectful towards Behringer recognising that they offer something people want at a price they want while not sweeping the issues their model has under the carpet. (edited that for clarity)

This sounds disgusting. Really disgusting.

14 Likes

TIL Behringer is committed to destroying what little is left of its reputation.

19 Likes

Looks like Behringer fell in love with its ‘wine snob’ analogy and decided to run with it without stopping. Just couldn’t let the notion sit… unfortunately.

4 Likes

Behringer: A bouquet of childishness with notes of racism and xenophobia. /s

16 Likes

Well, so much for me thinking that maybe they’d turned over a new leaf.

The thing that gets me about this is the amount of effort that clearly went into it. I mean, this isn’t just some drive-by smear on Twitter, someone put a lot of work into it.

11 Likes

I have an early meeblip. It’s not very good :frowning:

Therapists call it “working out one’s hate”. :wink:

3 Likes

“The company has also trademarked the journo’s name for the purposes of making any products related to electronic music-making.”

Is it legal to trademark someone else’s name? And if so, what the everloving fork.

9 Likes

Ugh. I’m blaming the cocaine.

2 Likes

Not in the US, and in fact most US states will let you sue entities if they try to profit off your name or likeness. Behringer is a German company, so it would depend on German personality rights laws.

3 Likes

This isn’t the first time Uli Behringer has behaved in a childish manner. It’s a pattern, and one that makes me avoid his products.

8 Likes

Ah, audio equipment. I was thinking they made wine or something.

The amount of pettiness and immaturity in some “adults” is astonishing. Were dude 7 years old, this behavior - or even sketching it in a notebook - would still be mindblowing.

Robert Anton Wilson pointed out that we live in a larval universe, therefore we shouldn’t bother looking for adults. behringer hasn’t even hatched.

8 Likes

Behringer is incorporated in the Philippines, and their factories are in China.

5 Likes

Not to mention, they’re often noisy and not produced very well. But hey, they can flood the market with $200 pieces of meh, so teh kidz can make some EDM, or whatever. Softsynths are a way better deal IMHO.

5 Likes

The President of the USA aka the most powerful person on the planet comes to mind…

8 Likes

Behringer are a consistently awful company. Avoid them like the plague.

Look at how they dealt with Robin Whittle, a long time contributor to the synth community.

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/behringer-unauthorised/

7 Likes

As a sound guy but not a musician, my only experience with Behringer is with their effects, EQs, etc. (Well, and the cute little mini mixer on my desk, currently pushing Dr. John across my office.) That said, my semi-professional opinion is that they make cheap, noisy gear that just barely works well enough to justify its price.

And that little mini mixer, true to Behringer form, both finds and showcases any line noise it can, and also shaves some of the ‘quality’ from the input signal. But for the price, it’s quite convenient…

5 Likes