Bell-jars with white, underlighting LED bases

She really likes rhinos…

3 Likes

Does she like 'em… horny?

Awright, awright, let me grab my coat.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Guys. You guys. This thing is awesome.

Expensive at $150 yes, but it is pretty well made, and large. Real glass, heavy base with inline power switch, etc. recommended

12 Likes

I hope the white LEDs don’t put out any UV, though.

3 Likes

Right, so we’ll just put a 4-draw bottle jack with african violets and base-sized holes in it up, and then draw it down in the evening when it’s all about Brawndo.

7 Likes

???

I’m talking about possible UV damage to artifacts meant to be preserved by this bell jar. Not sure what you are on about.

1 Like

In one discussion, an employee from EnergyCircle said that most residential LED bulbs give off almost no UV light.

In an unscientific test last night at my house, I saw moths and mosquitoes fly right past my outdoor LED bulb; they were not attracted to the light. Consumer LED bulb maker Pharox advertises its bulbs as having no UV, so it’s something worth checking when you’re shopping around.

Sounds like LEDs produce virtually no UV light, so nothing to worry about there.

3 Likes

Sounds like anecdotes…

Despite some manufacturer claims, LED sources are not UV and IR free. Their high short wave UV output makes them particularly dangerous for art and artifacts. Without significant secondary UV filtering LEDs are not acceptable light sources for fugitive or fragile materials and do not meet IESNA guidelines for museum lighting.

http://www.nouvir.com/index.cfm?ref=90200&ref2=9

2 Likes

It sounds prohibitively unlikely from the advisability of excess phosphor (to yes, convert blue and in unlikely poor choice conditions, UV LED emission) to the multiple layers (which would absorb or downconvert UV) from at least 2 sides of Lexan or glass, plus the Lexan or glass bulk absorption itself.

The african violets on the other hand respond noticeably to having UV around and require it twice a week. So spectroscopy or wet-chemistry checks during cleaning to staunch damage aside, there is field contrast. (Also, I’ve surely forgotten the normal lab equipment that serves display access purposes that are not vat-growing chimeric monsters. Missed the Bespoke Fume Hoods for the standards in the economic depression, mehaps? No demerits for having a hinged set of frames holding the obscuration discs (where holes permit the lighted bell jars to come up) on or over the violet frame so it can be a stage or otherwise not capture ping pong balls and detritus. Yes I’m describing stage elevators , ones too small for much orchestra.)

8 Likes

Nice, but not months-worth-of-groceries nice enough for me :smiley:

Thinking I could mod my $3 Target clearance bell-jar with some of those LED tape lights and a disc of perspex for multicolour action. That’d kick ass.

3 Likes

Hmm

3 Likes

“But LEDs make it simpler: They don’t give off UV at all.”

Considering that there are ultraviolet LEDs out there, that article was drastically oversimplified.

Properly-built LEDs (as long as they aren’t specifically designed for UV light, of course) won’t give off a lot of UV, but they can give off some. Consumer LED bulbs will convert generated UV to visible light with phosphors, which is probably what the article is talking about. It depends on how the light source is built - if you’re dealing with bare LEDs with a diffuser, YMMV.

It’s tough to tell from your image how the light is put together, and it may not matter much depending on how you’re using it and any other UV sources in the area.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.