Beninese musician/activist/genius Angélique Kidjo has released a tribute to Talking Heads' Remain in Light and IT. IS. FUCKING. AMAZING.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/12/water-flowing-underground-2.html

10 Likes

When awesomeness comes to town, this is what it looks like.

11 Likes

I saw her video for once in a lifetime last year and was wondering when it was going to come out… Looking forward to getting a copy!

4 Likes

Every song on this album is an absolute knockout.

5 Likes

American musicians create an album based on African rhythms, African musician covers that album.

OK.

2 Likes

Her face appears on the TV screen in the vid for sec and it reminded me, for some reason, of Max Headroom. I think it was the twitcy-ness.

1 Like

Really, really good. Made my day. Thanks @doctorow.

1 Like

One of my favorite Talking Heads albums. I can’t wait to have a chance to listen to this.

5 Likes

A desert island five album for me, brilliantly redesigned. TAKE MY MONEY!!!

1 Like

It takes quite a bit to get me bouncing in my seat. I was bouncing.

1 Like

Her live shows are other-wordly!
I saw her ten years ago and was goose-bumping all day from her cover of Curtis Mayfield’s Move on Up.

6 Likes

Love the Once In A Lifetime video (and song!), truly a wonderful thing.

Also, caught David Byrne’s American Utopia tour twice last year, if he announces more shows and any of you here has the chance to go - DO IT!

2 Likes

By far my favorite album of the last year!
Every single song is great, and remains great alongside playings of the Heads’ originals.
If her tour comes near your home, you’d be crazy not to find a way to attend!

1 Like

I agree, if you get a chance, DO IT!

2 Likes

I second that.
Album dropped a couple of months ago and it’s just terrific.
And Kidjo’s a fantastic talent. Her other records are recommended.

1 Like

OMG, I love her. Her rendition of Malaika at the concert for AIDS awareness brings me to tears every time.

Closest tour stop is 3.5 hours from me.

WooHoo! Tour will be at Lowell (MA) Boarding House Park on July 14: I just bought tickets. Thanks Cory!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.