Best Buy doing unexpectedly well in the age of Amazon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/23/best-buy-doing-unexpectedly-we.html

3 Likes

Best Buy is also full of stuff that you need now and not in two days. Even when you can get same day delivery from Amazon it’s probably cheaper to get in the car and go to Best Buy.

This is the same reason that Toys R Us would have survived if it hadn’t been saddled with debt; kids want toys today not Wednesday.

11 Likes

“I returned to Best Buy because its no-bullshit return policy / (and it’s where you can go to get brand new stuff at refurb prices.”

Me too! After a long story of online purchases going bad because of delayed and disappointing online warranty work and finding my way around sketchy return policies, it was an absolute joy to go to BB and have my new purchase in hand, start it up at home 10 minutes later, and knowing that any return or exchange issue will be dealt with immediately. I’m only out the additional local taxes which I should probably be paying anyway, but it was well worth the freedom from the things I now detest about online electronics shopping.

4 Likes

My last few trips to Best Buy have be surprisingly good… The people there seemed nice and knowledgeable and prices were competitive. Bought a vacuum. It’s also the last place I know nearby that sells PC parts, which is great when in a pinch (I needed some thermal paste recently). Only downside were the dozens of grownups waiting in line to buy an NES classic.

2 Likes

Had this changed at some point in the past few years? I actually avoided them for a while, on the off chance that I’d ever have to try and return something to them again.

1 Like

With their credit card I can get 5 percent of purchases rebated. Not a bad discount when prices are converging between internet and brick and mortar. But if geek squad becomes the monopoly provider of service things will not end well.

Im unsure, its probably been more than 10 years since i had previously been to BB.
The warranty still has limitations depending on the product. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/return-exchange-policy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014&ref=30&loc=BM02&gclid=CjwKCAjw-dXaBRAEEiwAbwCi5n2XHvdlKiHLBXACL7-YaQ6ZFh1vTDWvr7LBemlySnfJdbXzp34cTBoC_U8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds The policy is great for laptops since it takes me a couple of weeks to determine if i truly love or hate a laptop.

2 Likes

Only thing that gets me in the door of the local BestBuy is electronics recycling - the big cardboard box by the front door is useful for dumping old stuff.

Other than that, it just seems to be a cornucopia of mediocrity. Need an inkjet printer? That’ll be all the usual models from Epson/HP/Canon at 30% above the Amazon price. Need an HDMI cable? $35 please (vs. 5 on Amazon). Need a cellphone case? Sorry we don’t have one for your 2 year old phone, but we do have 300 different iPhoneX cases to choose from. Need a backup drive? Here’s a bunch of fancy models from WD with a 50% markup on the Amazon price. Need a toaster oven? Here’s a bluetooth connected IoT smart-home model with LED mood lighting. DVDs? Sure we have blu-ray and enhanced versions, but if you just want the regular disc you’re SOL.

I can wait the 2 days for prime shipping any time.

I bought my last laptop (HP 17-bs049dx) at Best Buy. We were out shopping and “look there is a Best Buy let’s check out laptops” Kid was friendly, no pressure, didn’t know about Linux, but he got me when he threw in a free wired mouse. And they didn’t try to sell me anything more than the warranty, which everyone does now.

ps My brother won’t do anything to fix his computer, he loves Geek Squad.

Are you sure?

My first search was for the Pixma pro 100 and Best Buy’s price was $1 more.

Also:
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor’s store.

Here’s how:
“If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors’ service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.”

I agree on cables and cases, the big box stores love to sell those hanging on pegs in blister packs. Fortunately I live near a Micro Center and they do more “bulk” pricing for cables, and the other small stuff like thumb drives, and it is great when i need it tonight.

2 Likes

I’ve used price matching at BB brick and mortar stores many times, it is incredibly easy. As a result, any time I am making a big electronics purchase, if BB sells it I buy it there, just to give them my business and help keep their store alive in my area.

1 Like

I’m with you @beschizza . I got a 65" 4k TV open box at Best Buy for $430 last month. The key is you have to evaluate the condition of the merchandise in person. I was talking to them and they said they have zero leeway to change the open box price for something like condition… Everything comes from a formula they have defined. My TV has a virtually unnoticeable scratch on the screen. There was a beautiful oled model right next to mine in the clearance section that had a horrible gash that was allowing heavy light bleed that nobody would ever be happy with. But they were both discounted by the same percentage.

3 Likes

Years ago, I avoided BB because they were all about selling warranties and really didn’t have a tech footprint. It was more like an appliance store that had some tech stuff that they sold on the side.

The Geek Squad people have gotten more competent over time and their tech and A/V selection by me is really amazing now. They still have a solid 1/3 of the store with appliances, but the rest is a tech heaven.

I’ve also been using their various reward programs for years to maximize my game purchasing. I was grandfathered into the Gamers Club because of my longtime membership in the gaming branch of their previous rewards program. Broke my heart when they cancelled it. I’ve still got nearly 2 years to enjoy my always-20% off new games…at which point I may have to leave them again for a bit. I’ve bought so many games I would have never even bought because of that discount.

The great deal I got was “this brand-new 12” MacBook is $900 because the box and one cable is missing" and the replacement USB-C cable is $20 and right there on the checkout rack.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.