Beware of robbers offering a hug

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/15/beware-of-robbers-offering-a-hug.html

3 Likes

Sorry, Olaf. No warm hugs.

9 Likes

I don’t wear any valuables, and good luck with the velcroed wallet pocket, but first they’d have to get past my fight or flight response.

7 Likes

by a complete stranger though? who wants that?!

16 Likes

No worries. I usually get more from them than they do from me :wink:

16 Likes

Reason 326 why I don’t hug anyone but my wife.

2 Likes

15 Likes

35 Likes

great, now hugs are ruined. thanks a lot, assholes.

4 Likes

Pig Hug GIF

9 Likes

Well…

b22ae3001f142a69a0b671243386797f15-29-president-trump-american-flag-cpac-20.rsquare.w400

4 Likes

I generally don’t like being touched, and generally ascribe to the following:
441323-1

5 Likes

i feel that’s more like an assault, not just a hug, lol

4 Likes

I misread the title as “Beware of robots offering a hug”.

6 Likes

somebody-needs-a-hug

5 Likes

Is it alright if they aren’t wearing a stripey jumper?

2 Likes

m-grid-cell-26477-1497391197-13

I don’t know how hugs are generally perceived in other countries, but I have a sample of one, reminding a small scene at our Swedish office.

A 60-something Italian guy had been working for about half a year in our Stockholm site, he’s a very “salt-of-the-earth” and forthcoming guy, excellent in his job.
As usual, he had done his magic and straightened out a project with some problems, everybody grew very fond of him.
Comes the day of his departure he was going round and saying goodbye to everybody.
Every man in sight got a bone wrecking hug - he knew better than doing that with women.
The range of expression of the subjects (of course not visible to him) ranged from the mildly disconcerted “is this normal for Italy?” to the slightly worried “I might need an orthopedic doctor…” to the really uncomfortable “Shall I go first to HR or the police?”, but nobody dared to subtract themselves from the ordeal.

4 Likes

I’d report an attempted hug from a stranger as assault!

(Glugs of Coke to @Franko.)

Knowing how Swedes love their personal space, I’m amazed he was even allowed near enough to start the hug.

1 Like