Beyonce and Big Freedia sued over words "release" and "wiggle"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/25/beyonce-and-big-freedia-sued-over-words-release-and-wiggle.html

2 Likes

I don’t see how you could copy write a three word phrase.

Or at least - how you should be allowed to.

11 Likes

Yeah, where’s the beef? (Which is/was protected by trademark, not copyright.)

6 Likes

Agreed.
But also, kind of feeling like the inanity is worth it to have been introduced to New Orleans bounce :slight_smile:
Even sitting on the couch, I just couldn’t help but bop along.

9 Likes

That Freedia track is fucking fantastic.

3 Likes

But of course!

Rent GIF by Big Freedia

4 Likes

At this rate, we’re not going to be able to release wiggles or enjoy sick beats anymore without paying someone.

1 Like

Well… yeah, that’s the goal, the commodification of as much of the world as possible in order to enrich some asshole somewhere…

4 Likes

So I suppose someone should sue the Neville Brothers over their album Fiyo On the Bayou, or they should sue someone else, or something. Let’s all just sue each other!

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware that the Wiggles had been locked up in the first place, but if this is part of an effort to pressure authorities for their release it hardly seems appropriate for anyone to claim copyright on basic protest chants.
tumblr_5afa03b5baeb0e7f49dbe5cc5d129bf6_3b926ee4_500

4 Likes

Her lawyers replied with the words “off” and “fuck” as the other order had been taken.

I however am a gleeful plagiarist…

5 Likes

Oh look, it was in the media that they’d been charged as part of an anti-piracy initiative a while ago but it was misinformation. They were briefly held for further questions relating to their association with Captain Feathersword as part of Operation Enduring Henry. But as far as I know, they were released without charges and are cooperating with local authorities.

3 Likes

Am I doing it right?

2 Likes

Don’t see this suit going anywhere. Sure Big Freedia would have known the Showstoppaz track, but “Explode” is a lot more original than the song it supposedly plagiarized. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Team ‘Big Freedia.’

6 Likes

Big Freedia is always awesome, but the athleticism and flexibility of those dancers is nuts, some of those splits :exploding_head:

3 Likes

:100:

Indeed.

3 Likes

I suspect that Plaintiff’s Counsel’s “Injunct their Wiggle” is somewhat less danceable; though has the potential to be an influential release in its own right.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.