Beyond Meat added to Tim Hortons' menu

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/13/beyond-meat-added-to-tim-horto.html

3 Likes

I finally had a chance to have one of the beyond burgers a few weeks ago and it was not bad. Perhaps underwhelmed considering the hype i’ve been hearing on how good the taste and texture is, then again i’m already on board with eating vegetarian and the patty is specifically made to appeal to meat eaters and get them to eat vegetarian. Personally i’m more of a fan of black bean patties :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nice! Now if In and Out Burger will just get on board (Ducks and runs out of the room anticipating outrage onslaught)

3 Likes

4,000 locations across Canada

Oh Canada…

5 Likes

I can’t speak for Beyond burgers, but finally got to try the Impossible Burger with several extremely-skeptical friends and were all very impressed. It’s honestly nearly identical to a beef patty. I wish it were lower in saturated fat (it actually has more WW points than a beef patty of the same size) but is a truly excellent simulation with zero animals involved.

If I could get a double-double veggie burger with Impossible/Beyond patties instead of their idea of a ‘veggie burger’ (i.e., a grilled cheese sandwich), it’d be awesome.

8 Likes

I heard someone say they made grilled cheese and i was looking forward to it… only to get some melted american on a hamburger bun. I get it I get it. I’m not their target market. lol.
no veggie burger is gonna taste perfectly like meat. I dont even think that’s necessary. I do prefer some brands over others. Boca burgers are disgusting. morning star were pretty good but they recently changed their recipe and they arent quite the same. The beyond and impossible are both pretty good. I think one of my favorite fake burgers was at a booth in the smorgasburg fair thing called a fatty beet burger. it was basicaly just beets shredded and grilled and greasy as hell but soooo good.

1 Like

Can’t be any worse than their crappy, stale donuts!

Impossible is pretty good. They get the texture of lean ground beef pretty much perfect. But the flavor is too mild for me. It’s like a hamburger that fell into the ooze from who framed roger rabbit.

2 Likes

Seems bizarre that people have to invent things that taste exactly like meat, when the real beauty of a a meat-free diet is the variety of flavours and textures that it offers.

Still, getting rid of cattle farming is a crucial part of any climate change strategy, so if this gets more meat addicts to switch, I’m all for it:

3 Likes

I had one of the sausage breakfast sandwiches yesterday. The Beyond Meat was a distinct improvement over their ostensibly-actual-meat sausages. Which is not to suggest that the sandwich was particularly good, but it was at least conspicuously less bad.

5 Likes

Does it make sense to separate beef and milk (and chicken and eggs) like that? I mean, a cow’s still involved whether you eat it or not…

1 Like

I dunno, I find ground beef more or less flavorless by itself, honestly. I’ve had plenty of beef burgers that had very little flavor if they aren’t seasoned and/or charred nicely by the cook. The Impossible burger I had had a decent burger-crust on it so it had lots of flavor.

Yeah yeah, I know, that’s the old classic “why do vegetarians want stuff that tastes like meat?” argument, I heard it every single day for fifteen years when I was a vegan. Well, because it’s savory and rich and makes a great sandwich, for one. I love a bean burger, and my favorite veggie burgers are the curried veggie patties made by a pub near me, but if Impossible/Beyond burgers make it ‘painless’ for meat eaters to switch, I’m all for it.

11 Likes

I finally had an Impossible burger at a local chain known for excellent burgers. It was horrible. Tasted nothing like a burger, had this weird iron taste to it. I wanted so so so badly to like it - I’ve wanted to go vegetarian for years, but I cook very badly and have a hard time paying attention to what I eat, so I fear that my nutrition would be even worse if I tried to give up meat. I had high hopes that the Impossible burger would be a great start, but I literally could not take a second bite, it was so bad.

2 Likes

Coffee hasn’t hit yet, which would’ve otherwise helped the presbyopia a little, anyway I read your comment thusly:

Personally i’m more of a fan of black bean panties

Also:

Five Guys’ veggie burger is a bun with condiments. I gather they think that’s some kind of joke, but I found out the hard way. (Anyway, I don’t think their meat burgers are all that. Maybe when I first tried one around 17 years ago.)

I don’t know about the data behind the chart, but (I’m told) a hen will lay eggs every day as long as there’s enough sunlight, whereas it can only be broiled once (not that you’d want to cook a laying hen, but you know what I mean…) I figure it’s the same for dairy cows: it can be milked regularly or slaughtered once. (Granted, animals that aren’t slaughtered have to continue being fed, but I’d still imagine that’s less of a footprint than feeding & slaughtering, feeding & slaughtering…)

I rather like Trader Joe’s vegetable masala burgers, which taste nothing like a hamburger, but they’re quite tasty. Can’t remember if it was Morningstar or Boca (or both), but I’ve noticed that a lot of their products aren’t vegan. (I’m not a vegan, but we watch out for yetsom)

3 Likes

Doesn’t really affect me, as I live 800 miles from the closest Tim Hortons. But thanks for “dry as a popcorn fart”. Never having spent much time in the Midwest, I hadn’t heard that particular idiom. It makes no sense, but it sure is evocative.

3 Likes

It’s really not that bad transitioning to eating more veggies, you don’t necessarily have to think of it as you needing to give up meat or change your diet. Think of it is opening up your mind to new tastes and ingredients, if you’re not a great cook that’s not a bad thing as its an opportunity to slowly learn new things you can make :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Those would be some very tiny panties. There was this, though:

5 Likes

IIRC most of the meat we eat is from males, and the females produce the milk and eggs. The question does become, if we continue with milk and eggs, what happens to the males? Would we figure out a way to select in untero for females for all purposes except studs?

Those are good, but have you tried the Quinoa Cowboy? We eat them on toasted naan from WF with melted cheddar, hummus and avocado *chef’s kiss* I haven’t tested the hypothesis, but I’m pretty sure I could eat them daily without complaint.

2 Likes

A friend tried the A&W Beyond Meat burger, liked it, but the sodium content was high apparently

1 Like

Beyond Meat is made in my home! (Columbia, MO)

2 Likes