Beyond Meat added to Tim Hortons' menu

I’ve had the Beyond Meat burgers. Recommended them to friends and family and meat-eaters and non-meat-eaters alike enjoyed them. I see they have Beyond Meat sausages now too. I have not tried those yet.

3 Likes

With options like this and lab grown meat, meat production can stop being a factory and go back to smaller farms with a higher quality animal at a higher price.

4 Likes

I have a lot of issues with texture and taste. I’ve made a giant pot of something that I’ve made and eaten dozens of times before, and suddenly my body is like, "gross, I’m not touching that’. I will literally vomit from a disturbing mouthfeel. It ticks me off enormously, and makes me look like a toddler going out to eat. :frowning:

3 Likes

The local Timmies has displays up for Beyond Meat, but I had the chili, which is meat, I think. (If it’s textured vegetable protein, I wouldn’t care.)

2 Likes

By coincidence, just today Tyson announced that it will debut several new plant-based products, including “nuggets”, in direct competition to Beyond Meat (in which Tyson is a former stakeholder but now a rival). Beyond Meat’s stock dropped briefly but appears to be on the rebound already.

4 Likes

That’s fair, growing up that was the biggest hurdle toward me eating things. It was mainly the texture of the food that could put me off, its not as big of an issue now but i sympathize.

2 Likes

Having tried a lot of fake meat I find fake sausage to be some of the best variants… cuz generally so much of the flavor in sausage comes from non-meat seasonings. (I haven’t tried the beyond meat ones)

4 Likes

Agreed! These are a staple in my place.

FieldRoastSausageLG

3 Likes

That’s the same stuff as seitan, right?

What’s interesting is that Tyson’s new products use pretty much exactly the same sort of pea protein as Beyond Meat, while Impossible’s newest burgers are mostly soy and potato protein. It’ll be interesting to see what comes out on top, especially when Impossible starts selling burgers and recipe crumbles in supermarkets this fall (hopefully).

What I’m fascinated by is how high Impossible has their sights set. While Beyond & Tyson are competing to see whose pea-protein burgers & nuggets are better or cheaper, Impossible’s next goal is to make a lab-grown plant-based steak that’s indistinguishable from beef. A burger’s one thing, but an animal-free steak is a holy grail nobody’s attempted.

4 Likes

I don’t know, never looked into the ingrdnts that closely.

That said, I’ve had many great dishes made with seitan.

3 Likes

I want to start a restaurant (or maybe a food truck) called “Taste of Satan”. Main dishes would be seitan and goat. Deviled ham and deviled eggs on the side. Devil’s food cake for dessert.

12 Likes

There used to be a chinese place in my city that served a medicinal yellow curry with some kind of mushroom root meat substitute. It’s closed now, but ai would love to get my hands on either the curry recipe, the root recipe, or both.

3 Likes

Hail Seitan

5 Likes

Satan’s House of Seitan Sandwiches & Salads

5 Likes

I would hope a place like that to have carolina reaper hot sauce on tap

8 Likes

The reason I asked is, I recently made seitan at a vegetarian friend’s house; we got the directions from a cookbook called “Field Roasts”. I didn’t look too closely at the time, but I’m guessing the book was by the same folks that make your grain meat sausage. Pretty much all gluten, right?

Oddly, the Field Roast website doesn’t use the word “seitan” at all

3 Likes

Here’s your handy-dandy Beyond Meat Locator.

https://www.beyondmeat.com/where-to-find/

3 Likes

Could also try Tempeh as a meat alternative, it’s usually made with soy beans but can be made with other types of beans as well including chickpeas.

1 Like

If I loosen my rules to include nightshades, I could expand the menu to include eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers – not to mention a taste of the Devil’s weed with whiskey after the meal.

EDIT: That should ideally be in the form of a really stinky cigar (Bender style)

3 Likes