McDonald's will introduce a line of plant-based burgers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/09/mcdonalds-will-introduce-a-line-of-plant-based-burgers.html

4 Likes

I’m glad this is becoming a thing. Getting omnivores (like me) to choose meat alternatives is a real opportunity. The success BK has had with the impossible burger is proof of that.

Changing hearts and minds on this sort of stuff is a gradual process, and normalizing “not meat but tastes like meat” as an option at these chains is a huge step forward on that.

31 Likes

So… Soylent Meat is Green?

7 Likes

lostinspacetybo

14 Likes

100% agreed on this.; I’ve been pretty impressed with the two or three Impossible meat substitutes I’ve eaten, and I think I could see myself cutting down on my beef intake by a third or a half if they were more widely available (and even more significantly if they manage to make a steak that feels and tastes like a steak).

5 Likes

my first thought was FruitCo decided to tribute to the old Mac 128 tool.macpaint

7 Likes

Does this mean that their fries are finally going to be vegetarian too? After they switched from tallow they started putting beef boullion (more or less) in their salt mixture. It got them in a class action lawsuit with a bunch of hindus who unwittingly consumed beef a while back.

5 Likes

I’m curious what goes into this stuff.

and this - just because of Tilda Swinton:

2 Likes

I know this is intended to be funny, but up in Canada you can get Cricket flour in grocery stores now!

We never managed to snag a bag before we moved to the US but we did get some Cricket energy bars before we left that were pretty yummy - and way better than the “bars” in Snowpiercer :wink:

13 Likes

This is going to be tasty i guess :wink:

5 Likes

Do you think there are more or less bugs in factory-made ground beef than there are in factory-made vegetable patties?

Though, I guess with all the chlorine baths processed meat goes through, there’s probably not much of any bug left.

Also, McDonalds has had vegan burgers for a while in Sweden.

@theophrastus OK, now do it without cartoons.

2 Likes

Agree -when you think about it - humanity is missing out on a ton of nutrient-rich food sources because they are ‘icky’.

TBH - I’d prefer the cricket flour over whatever chemistry experiment McDs is going to try to pass off as food here.

3 Likes

I’m leafin’ it

5 Likes

@monkeybars - I try not to think about either. What’s the old saying about sausage making? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That we still kill more than a trillion animals a year whether you think about it or not?

3 Likes

McPlant is crafted exclusively for McDonald’s, by McDonald’s

Well, I’m not going to get a job there just so I can try it.

5 Likes

how much more cellulose could they pack into their burgers?

2 Likes

Insects are a sustainable source of protein. And I think there’s a great spokesman they could use – Thomas F. Wilson. Following the style of the McPlant, Wilson could advertise the McFly.

6 Likes

3 Likes