McDonald's will introduce a line of plant-based burgers

Bugs would not be plant-based.
Also bugs would be significantly LESS viscerally disgusting, unsustainable, and unethical a protein source than what, you know, actually goes into a burger or nugget.

3 Likes

I used to make that joke as a dumb, sarcastic middle-schooler in the 90s, probably inspired by this Dr. Demento mainstay:

Of course, then I grew up and learned there was an ethical difference between simply a “living entity” and a “being capable of suffering,” and set that snark, and animal products aside.

5 Likes

Honestly the “you mean to say we’ve been eating BUGS all this time??” revelation probably shouldn’t have seemed all that shocking to the people who initially depended on cannibalism for survival.

1 Like

I wish they would launch the McAloo Tiki. I used to purchase that in India and it is the best McDonald’s sandwich I’ve had anywhere.

5 Likes

No one has reported on what the McPlant tastes like, but if it’s anything like McDonald’s other products, it’ll be chemically-formulated to make your brain stand at attention and salute.

2 Likes

I used to love Sinfest. Sadly, the creator went past feminist and into full-on TERF

4 Likes

Grandma made “hamburgers” made of spinach, rape leaves, poppy leaves and the like, put some eggs and some cheese then deep fried them, my mom still makes them, and are actually pretty good.
I think when you don’t have beef you have to use some clever idead to fill the stomach.

And with some hot ketchup os mustard they taste great.

7 Likes

They would never mess with the fry recipe. People would lose their minds. It would be this all over again:

2 Likes

Bug Burgers are already being done

3 Likes

Reminds me of Pakora

5 Likes

I just hope that being made from plant material, it won’t cost a lot. Burger King’s Impossible Burger is 8 freakin’ bucks in San Diego!

3 Likes

All the fries in Europe have been tallow-free for decades, with no uproar about the flavor or texture.

4 Likes

Sadly, I think this product is 5-10 years too soon. In the current political climate, and as the product is currently constituted, it’s going to be a red-state object of derision and a late-night talk show joke.

I don’t say this nearly enough, but:

Fuck the current political climate. We’ve been abused children held hostage by Daddy Trump’s narcissistic rages for too long.

And:

The 90s called and even they are bored by that premise.

5 Likes

Absolutely false.

The current political and demographic climate is that those “red states” have only a tenuous hold on their power and cultural cachet. These places are changing, becoming more diverse, have greater numbers of people doing white collar work. There is a growing desire for this stuff.

Just remember Biden flipped one “red state” and Trump won several of them by the skin of his teeth. Times are a changing.

4 Likes

My only worry is how easily can it be incorporated as a regular flour.

I find many substitutes simply don’t do the job well. Coconut flour being the worst. The stuff requires a huge amount of liquid just to keep things from tasting like sand.

1 Like

The concept of red states and blue states is a fairly new one as well. Prior to 2000, whoever got to be red and whoever got to be blue was up to whomever made the electoral map. And before that, it didn’t even matter which states were red and which were blue because either party seemed equally capable of winning any state.

Maybe. It depends. I have lived in several of these so called red states, and some are just segregated as fuck. Whether they’re red or blue is determined by how good a job they do at voter suppression. Other places are deep red, but that’s because the major industries have left and have taken all the white collar jobs with them. Thinking that Idaho is the same as Missouri is the same as Indiana is probably the result of media bias, because none of those places is like the others.

Thinking farmers in Vermont are somehow superior to farmers in Nebraska is a whole different issue that I won’t even begin to get into here.

Which one? Georgia, New Mexico, or Arizona? Are we considering Virginia to be a red state even though Obama was the one to flip it?

1 Like

This has not been the case at BK with their offering.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/10/28/investing/restaurant-brands-earnings-burger-king-popeyes/index.html

5 Likes

I was thinking Georgia. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, enjoy the laughter. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. And McPlant is the most insipid, unappealing product name they could’ve selected. I’m sure they spent 6 to 7 figures just on the name, all wasted.

If you say “I don’t say this nearly enough”, you probably should say it less.