Biden should pardon Trump, says WaPo's Jason Willick 

I think Biden should be exactly as tough on crime as the GOP always say they are. Nail him to the wall with as many nails as may be warranted.

14 Likes

I can’t see any way a Trump pardon could work and be beneficial to the US as a whole.

He infected politics, and enraged the psyches of a huge portion of the country. Whether he dies, gets pardoned, gets tried, or skips out on a trial to hide in Russia, the hate and paranoia and threats will continue from his loyal worshipers. Even if video surfaces of him strangling a crib full of puppies grinning and laughing his minions will explain it away and blame “the far left.”

He ruined the country. The guy who promised to make America great again screwed us all, it’s just that a huge number of citizens refuse to see it.

14 Likes

Cracking Up Lol GIF

7 Likes

You can only be pardoned for crimes which you have been found guilty of or pleaded guilty to. Trump would never accept a pardon because it means accepting guilt.

3 Likes

Uhh, Nixon?

4 Likes

Willick means fucking idiot in the original Pakled.

16 Likes

WaPo’s Jason Willick should get bent, says Dreamboat Skanky

19 Likes

Previous case law suggests otherwise.

13 Likes

28 Likes

What I mean is that Ford lost a tremendous amount of political support pardoning Nixon even though they theoretically had the same voter base. If Biden pardoned Trump the political cost would likely be even higher since virtually everyone who supports Biden absolutely loathes Trump.

16 Likes

Oh God, this reference is so good. RED ALARM.

As far as the post: some days I can’t fathom why I work so hard at my job, while this guy makes so much more than I do to poop in a word document and turn it in and take a long weekend.

6 Likes

Uhh, Burdick?

After Ford left the White House in January 1977, he privately justified his pardon of Nixon by carrying in his wallet a portion of the text of Burdick v. United States, a 1915 U.S. Supreme Court decision which stated that a pardon indicated a presumption of guilt, and that acceptance of a pardon was tantamount to a confession of that guilt.[81]

9 Likes

Mostly, I’d say this suggests that a pardon from Trump doesn’t really mean anything.

1 Like

Nixon absolutely should have gone to jail. Trump is betting on either DOJ or Biden blinking because Nixon got away with it.

7 Likes

“accept presumption of guilt” is not the same as “guilty or pleaded guilty”. There was never a trial.

4 Likes

14 Likes

Legal experts are far from unanimous on the opinion that acceptance of a pardon constitutes an acceptance of guilt. Many pardons have been granted under the explicitly stated rationale that the pardoner believed the subject to be innocent of the crime they were convicted of.

Indeed, some pardons expressly state that they are based on the pardoner’s decision that the defendant was actually innocent; and some legal rules expressly contemplate that — consider, for instance, the federal statute that provides for compensation of the unjustly convicted, which allows a plaintiff to prevail by showing (among other things) “that he has been pardoned upon the stated ground of innocence and unjust conviction.” UPDATE: The Justice Department Standards for Consideration of Clemency Petitioners also expressly contemplate the possibility of “pardon on grounds of innocence or miscarriage of justice,” though they unsurprisingly note that such applicants “bear a formidable burden of persuasion” (since the Justice Department’s strong presumption is that people convicted in federal court were indeed justly convicted).

For example, I don’t think anyone believes that Trump’s pardon of boxer Jack Johnson was predicated on the assumption that Johnson was guilty of the crime he got railroaded for.

Anyway that’s really neither here nor there because we know that not a single Trump supporter would be likely to see his acceptance of a pardon as an admission of guilt.

6 Likes

Initial reaction: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. No.
Subsequent reaction, after thinking about it: more of the same

No one at the top of American politics ever facing consequences for their illegal actions has led us to a pretty dark place. Whatever the ostensible advantages are for a pardon, they don’t outweigh the many, many disadvantages.

13 Likes

no_no_bad

No pardon. Try him, get a conviction, enforce it. Let him rot.

17 Likes

What is it lately with the punditry class on the supposed left side of the curve? Is some think tank funneling dark money to them to write this stupid bullshit??

2 Likes