Biden to announce free at-home Covid tests

In San Diego, this has been in place for months. There are at least 3 testing tents within a stone’s throw of the San Ysidro border crossing for most of the pandemic, too.

If officials in states like Florida hadn’t been so resistant to stopping the pandemic, we might have been over this already.

4 Likes

I found that two stores from different chains I stopped at which said in stock on their web site were out of stock. So at that point I stopped trusting the web sites and ordered online, but will not receive them till next week.

Thats a good link tho –– thanks for sharing it here.

1 Like

It’s more like 2.25 per person, since 33% of the country won’t use them because they’ll believe the tests contain 5G mind control chips.

From what I have read, while the Omicron variant is highly transmissible as you describe, there are a lot of factors that make the spread variable. To name a couple, the US is a big country and the spread starts in population centers but takes a while to gain speed in rural areas. But since vaccinations are more prevalent in cities and blue states now, the spread of Omicron will be different than Delta. Workplaces are largely safer now due to masking and vaccine requirements also, but now vectors are sporting events and schools and other public gatherings.

It’s a complicated problem which could quickly be solved if the country could agree to attack it sensibly, but then…you know.

2 Likes

Better late than never, but admin delay will kill, literally. Seems like a better plan would be to have a website from which you could print coupons, go to local drug store, & use the coupons to pay. You get free tests when you need them & government pays. Everyone’s happy. And less hassle…

2 Likes

It’s less hassle to assume:

a) Everyone has a printer
b) Local pharmacies have them
c) Take time to get them from local pharmacies

vs.

It shows up on your doorstep.

Really?

6 Likes

There’s your problem. Most of the time, they don’t have them.

3 Likes

Definitely true. The US is a big place, with large variations in population density, climate, etc. It really makes sense to think of the US as a collection of smaller countries/regions than as a monolith, and peaks will surely happen at different times in different states. Some places may not peak before these tests become available, and like I said, the tests will still be useful even after Omicron has passed its peak.

That said, South Africa is a reasonably large country with plenty of rural areas as well. And while Gauteng, the epicenter of the Omicron outbreak, is definitely on a downward trend it’s starting to look like the other provinces may not be far behind:

Who knows how applicable any of this is to other regions though. It’s summer there, and there’s a ton of other factors. I’m just trying to be optimistic but obviously we should still plan for the worst.

3 Likes

Totally agree. That’s an interesting chart, but I’m too ignorant about SA to know how those provinces are populated to make a comparison. I have seen that SA has a vax rate of something like 40%, so roughly 20-30% less than the US as of early December, and that has to be factored as well.

I’m trying to be optimistic (but constitutionally cynical and skeptical) so I’m planning for the worst as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.