Big Black Bird: what depression after a cancer diagnosis feels like

[Permalink]

4 Likes

Love the blast about… “you should try x…”. In my case it is usually some random book/author that the person wants to talk about. But I remind myself that neither of us know how to comfortably handle this situation, and that the person is really coming from a place of compassion and caring and that is what matters. I often feel like I’m the one giving the healing and grace.

The worst part is having a room next to the nurses station and being woken up during the 6am shift change (after a terrible night of sleep anyway), to hear the 20 somethings discuss their wedding plans, pregnancies, and fabulous vacations they are going on.

1 Like

Made me think of the video “I Had a Black Dog”

My experience is that the depression that comes from cancer drugs is different from other forms of depression; it actually feels chemical in nature, and thus impossible to overcome. I have found that I’ve had to fight fire with fire: taking more drugs to combat the side effects of the life-saving drugs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.