Bikes are (still) the coolest invention in the universe

A recent boing thread saw some discussion of the darker aspects of cycling and I was left wanting a counterpoint to that. The last bike thread seems to have died out and been closed, so maybe we can resurrect it and discuss how amazing bicycles are?

Here’s my latest love. A Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, inspired by classic French randonneuring/cyclotouring bikes. The first bike I’ve built up myself (even the wheels). It carried me over 300km last weekend, through 18 hours of cold rain, without complaint.

10 Likes

I’ve been riding a lot of gravel and mixed terrain, thus this:

5 Likes

Needs disc brakes and integrated grip shifters at minimum! Maybe even some form of suspension. It is 2019, people!

1 Like

Let the flame wars commence…

1 Like

All they need is an engine, a body, some nice plush seating, room to haul groceries, a good sound system, and a bunch of cup holders, and they’d be perfect.

2 Likes

Well, the first one at least has four of the things on your list and if you pop in a pair of headphones or clip a set of speakers to the handlebars (safety!), you’ve got the sound system. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was going to say the same, I have a water bottle sized Bluetooth speaker which fits in a bottle cage.

Bonus: the dynamo generator (for the headlight) can provide USB power to charge the speaker up during the daytime!

3 Likes

2hx35f

3 Likes

Yeah, was the bike complaint-free or the rider?

3 Likes

The rider might have been a bit whiny by the end. The trick on that kind of ride is to do it with a bunch of other equally crazy people and stick together for moral support.

5 Likes

What are rims but huge discs? And what are pneumatic tires if not excellent, ultra-low-unsprung-mass suspension?

Gripshifters have lots of moving plastic parts to break on you. Old school levers have one bolt that can be adjusted while riding.

4 Likes

Wow, very nice. I can’t imagine that’s the original fork, though? Grant Petersen is not a unicrown guy.

My commuter isn’t all that much to look at but it gets me where I need to go.

5 Likes

That’s the original fork.

Some of the high end MB’s from Bridgestone came with a crowned fork, but the castings were fatally flawed. Oddly enough, the unicrownn fork is the one you want.

Edit for fat fingered typing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.