Bill Gates wants us to fear mosquitoes, not sharks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/07/fuck-shark-week.html

3 Likes

He’s right. That’s all there is to say.

17 Likes

This reminds me of a terrible barbecue I went to. A lot of painful memories.

Sometimes that mosquito looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a mosquito is he’s got lifeless eyes. Compound eyes. Like a tiny doll’s eyes. When he buzzes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those tiny eyes eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. Your arm gets a bump, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those mosquitoes come in and… they bite you to pieces.

Anyway, we delivered the bean dip.

16 Likes

I love when people call out the real problems. In this country (USA), we’re so riveted by make-believe problems. I loved it when Bernie Sanders said climate change is the biggest threat facing the US, but of course everyone just thought that was silly.

14 Likes

Dances with Sharks would have been a much better movie.

3 Likes

I fear mosquitoes THE SIZE OF SHARKS. In tornadoes.

2 Likes

Ever had (thinks Wikipedia) malaria, dengue, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever,[1] filariasis, tularemia, dirofilariasis, Japanese encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, Eastern equine encephalitis,[2] Venezuelan equine encephalitis, Ross River fever, Barmah Forest fever, La Crosse encephalitis, or Zika fever?

Didn’t think so. Millions do. They are horrible.

4 Likes

Yes, but we need mosquitoes.

The Dutch however…eradicating them is too good for those bastards.

2 Likes

Sure - but who’ll finance a film called Mosquitonado? Or say it three times fast?

8 Likes

When I went to Africa recently, I was taking malaria medication and was inoculated against other mosquito-borne illness; when I asked my local guide what the locals did, he just shrugged. “We get malaria. Nobody can afford to take malaria pills from birth until death. So you wear thick clothes even when it’s so hot outside, but even so, everyone gets bitten. We go to the hospital, and we get better, or we die.”

19 Likes

You go in the shorts. Shorts go in the back yard. You go in the back yard. Mosquito’s in the back yard. Our mosquito.

Farewell and adieu, to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain.

5 Likes

Better still…

1 Like

A link to the original article would be helpful

1 Like

People in Western countries just don’t remember what dangerous endemic diseases are like.

16 Likes

Way too terrifying.

I’ve got an aunt he could eradicate.
Well, actually I don’t.
I’ve no more aunts.

We’re sure working on it–give us another ten years of anti-vaxx nonsense and we’ll get a nice taste of it.

12 Likes

Mosquitoes hardly kill anyone. Maybe if you are ambushed by a really huge swarm you can die from blood loss or allergic shock. The parasite Plasmodium falciparum is the real killer that infect both us and the mosquito.

This is worth keeping in mind when you hear about people wanting to eradicate mosquitoes permanently with unknown biological side effects. Aim for the parasite instead.

That statistic is also inconsistent. If the mosquito is blamed for carrying disease to humans the number of victims from other humans have to be increased a lot since we infect each other all the time.

2 Likes

Mosquito bites transmit fatal diseases to nearly 800,000 people per year. Without them, those people would not be killed by fatal diseases transmitted by mosquitoes.

14 Likes

I was certainly thinking about that when I wrote the post, but I had put that in the “dare not speak it’s name” category.

3 Likes