Billionaire hands UMass Boston grads $1000 in cash with their diploma

Originally published at: Billionaire hands UMass Boston grads $1000 in cash with their diploma | Boing Boing

Only $1000?

Cheap wealth-washing bastard.

14 Likes

Thanks, I guess I’ll use this $500 towards the $250K of debt I’ve accumulated while here.

Tax the rich. Tax them almost everything they’ve got. If they complain, tax them more.

15 Likes

“Hale encouraged the graduates to pay it forward, urging them to donate one envelope to a charity of their choice.”

While he sat on nearly $5Billion.

17 Likes

Right?

Hoard money and you’re a hero.

Hoard anything else, you’re a weirdo.

11 Likes

Dragons were good.

In this essay…

14 Likes

Receiving a relative pittance from a billionaire after several years of effort seems…a little on the nose…as a marker of the completion of your preparation to enter the workforce.

They are strictly better off than the ones doing the same thing without the thousand bucks; but as symbolism goes it’s a pretty solid contender among abasement rituals that can be conducted without risk of assault charges.

13 Likes

This is going to help pay off those outrageous broker fees when I cash in my trust fund!

5 Likes

And use this guy’s tax dollars specifically to reinvest in public colleges.

8 Likes

Does he think that’s a lot of money? I mean…as a broke new college graduate in 1991, I would have loved $1,000 cash, but even then, that wouldn’t have been enough to do much with. It would have been gone within 3 months even if I didn’t make any special purchases. This is purely performative. “Look how generous I am! I’m one of the good rich people!” Ridiculous.

14 Likes

He probably thinks that the proles who attend UMass think it’s a lot of money…

9 Likes

$1000 might have covered my textbooks for a couple of semesters back in the day… :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Two months of tuition for me.

Yay.

7 Likes

Fees or no fees?

3 Likes

Just the college tuition, so not materials or textbooks or travel or food or lodgings or bills.

6 Likes

Right? $1k doesn’t even cover one month of rent. Anywhere. Not even for a 250 sft studio.

6 Likes

season 4 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

3 Likes

That’s nice. But $1000 won’t pay/will barely pay for next months rent.

It reminds me of that Simpson’s episode where Bart busts his ass to clean up an old lady’s yard, and she’s a bit out of touch with what things cost and pays him 25 cents.

Or Arrested Development, with how out of touch rich people are.

4 Likes

At the rate of $2.5M per year, he can do this for the next 2,000 years. It’s not good to lose sight of how much a billion dollars is.

I had a high school friend, upon graduating, his parents gave him a card with ten slots, each containing a $100 bill. They either didn’t know or didn’t care he cheated on his is exit exams and was functionally illiterate.

Nice one!

5 Likes

It might not sound like much but I would have gladly taken it. It would cover the cost of a fancy celebratory dinner somewhere.

1 Like