Billionaire superyacht owner's children pelt onboard Basquiat painting with cornflakes

If this is it, I can understand the kids’ reaction:

The obvious solution is to have a child-proof mini-superyacht towed behind.

2 Likes

I figure I can probably build a couple of guillotines a week, c’mon guys, we can do this.

3 Likes

As far as I can tell not 100% accurate, but a good cast and fun to watch.

4 Likes

Don’t if you can hold out for longer.

Mine crushed blueberries into tan carpet when she was about 1.5yrs. We replaced it when she was out of diapers. Now (being young grade school age), she just occasionally drops full glasses of milk…

We own a small carpet cleaning machine for just this reason…

1 Like

We’ll be selling the house in 4-5 years, so will recarpet maybe a year before that. So hopefully past the worst. My almost 4 year old doesn’t spill much on the carpet anymore. Three quarters of the house is wood floor thank goodness!

2 Likes

Well, you mentioned no sex, no masturbation, chewing but never swallowing your food, and poop-obsession. But why do you say he was he a weirdo?

2 Likes

You fool! That was the art installation you just cleaned up!

Oh, Lloyd’s of London is going to be all up my ass about this.

2 Likes

Always loved the title of this piece. I’d say it’s aged pretty well.

Apparently artwork can survive underwater really well for decades.

rose

@Mindysan33 “If you really want art and culture to not be traded as a commodity, then you have to end capitalism as a system that endlessly commodifies everything it comes into contact with.”

I’d buy that for a dollar!

5 Likes

It depends on how rich you are.

If someone won big on the Euromillions lottery they suddenly would find themself with a very substantial fortune. Tonight’s jackpot is about £150 million, for example. That would set me and my whole extended family and friends up for life, and their children. I could rush out and buy a couple of motor boats and several cars just out of the “fun money”.

It would be chump change in the world of super yachts, though.

In this post, this family’s super yacth contains a single picture worth £80 million. How many cars can you buy for £80 million? A lot, even if you only buy customised Bentleys and Bugattis.

Once you are that rich, you stop thinking about money and what most things cost, because there are so few things you can’t automatically afford without noticing.

For example there was a case a few years ago where an Arab oil prince had millions stolen from his credit card but he never noticed. He simply didn’t need to check credit card statements.

2 Likes

Some of them never do.

Admittedly, Hetty Green doesn’t quite fit your definition, having grown up wealthy and inheriting a a large chunk of money but she did turn it into an absolutely ginormous fortune herself while being as stingy as anyone I’ve ever heard of.

3 Likes

I’m guessing these were soggy, milk-soaked cornflakes? Otherwise I wouldn’t think there would be significant damage.

1 Like

This is why I have all of my paintings and graphic art laminated.

1 Like

Wait until Banksy sells a painting that automatically throws porridge at itself.

3 Likes

I’m reminded of the Gauguin worth over €10M that hung on a Fiat factory worker’s kitchen wall for several decades.

He didn’t know what it was, and had bought it in a railway lost property auction because he thought it looked nice. It turns out that it had been stolen and the thieves had left it on a train- but Italian law meant that even when this came to light, he got to keep it (though he sold it).

I don’t know if his kids ever damaged it…

1 Like

Realistically, it’s $.20 of oral rehydration salts

1 Like

This is my favorite BB headline of the year so far.

And cornflakes are one thing, but the humidity and sea air are severely destructive. The fact that it’s on a boat is killing me.

1 Like

The article actually explains that artwork like this aboard yachts is kept in climate-and-temperature controlled environments that are superior to those used on land.

1 Like

So how are kids getting cornflakes on it? That doesn’t add up.

Edit:

Reads article - I see. So the yacht’s interior as a whole is controlled rather than the painting being in some controlled sealed off area. Got it.

2 Likes