Consultants will train the crew of your super-yacht to take care of your fine art collection

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/03/water-colors.html

2 Likes

This is why experienced art collectors usually hang the Jackson Pollock paintings in the children’s mess deck.

24 Likes

Well, thank goodness! Ever since reading the initial article I’ve been in a complete tizzy about how to care for the portion of my fine art collection kept aboard my yacht. I will be able to sleep easier tonight, knowing there’s finally a solution to a problem that affects us all.

13 Likes

Please, please tell me that these crews are stealing all the paintings and leaving cheap reproductions in their place.

I need some tiny piece of my faith in humanity restored.

15 Likes

Back in the early part of this century I was acquainted with a guy who was one of a crew of many. This crew regularly flew around the world eventually via helicopters. They would journey over land and sea making sure that the video and audio media collections/jukeboxes were working properly on a particular billion’s yachts around the globe.

I assume that they’d use the cloud + satellite internet these days.

2 Likes

Maybe they should concentrate on training the crew to keep watch in case someone casts off the lines, and the yacht goes adrift?

9 Likes

Now what yacht owner could be so awful and greedy and toxic to prompt someone to do that to one of her family’s ten boats?

12 Likes

What you did there, I saw it.

10 Likes

Is there an angle here for appreciating that the fabulously wealthy preserve original works of the masters?

I’ll admit (no trolling, honest) I am not sure how the artistic folks on here feel about the strange relationship between the fabulously wealthy and the art creators (usually dead) that they pay top dollar for.

2 Likes

Hey, when you’ve got a toddler on the yacht EVERY deck is a mess deck, amirite??

(Just kidding that cleaning staff is so fired if I find so much as a cookie crumb in the main library.)

9 Likes

Of course historically most art was produced for trumpian monstrosities, but in the nineteenth century there was a trend towards democratic governments and civic organizations collecting, funding and presenting art for the common good.

Naturally, the pendulum has swung a long way back from that point.

11 Likes

On seagoing yachts? Not much of an angle.

Besides…

23 Likes

Works of art like these are being used by the superrich to store their assets in lieu of traceable bank accounts. At least being placed on display on the yachts beats the typical fate of these works, which is otherwise to be crated in a warehouse. But yes, they should spend some money to protect these investments.

5 Likes

I worked 10 years in engineering and project management for a builder of large luxury yachts, dealing closely with the customers to create the vessel of their dreams. I can only recall 3 customers who could be classified as decent human beings; the rest were at best human garbage. On the other hand, in 15 years with a model rocket manufacturer, I was in contact with literally hundreds of hobbyists, all of whom were really good people.

20 Likes

Rule #1: If you see police activity on the pier, immediately cast-off.

1 Like

thanks? - signed lower middle class human

2 Likes

That’s some mighty attractive booty.

9 Likes

Now I just need a super-yacht. And an expensive art collection. And the obscene wealth and staggering hubris to spend it on them.

7 Likes

In order to make room for new culture, these yachts must be sunk in the deepest ocean trench.

4 Likes

And, Gullie, if I could I’d give you all this and more! Yet, here I am, temporarily embarrassed.

5 Likes