The "lost" Leonardo da Vinci painting has been found hanging in a yacht

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/11/the-lost-leonardo-da-vinci.html

4 Likes

Salvator Mundi
born on a Monday.

(Hmm…that sounded better in my head.)

17 Likes

The painting of Theseus?

10 Likes

Unless it’s hanging near one of the hot tubs I highly doubt it’s getting wet. Salt and humidity well, that’s different.

8 Likes

That could be a portrait of me back in say, 1972’ish…

9 Likes

You guys, I’m starting to wonder if maybe the ruling dynasties in these petro states might have just a smidge more disposable income than is really healthy.

36 Likes

You know what else is perfect to hang in yachts?

13 Likes

Hitler???

6 Likes

your toys

3 Likes

A picture of your other yacht?

19 Likes

That this is an actual Da Vinci is a shared delusion for predatory financial reasons, giving us all even less reason to trust the legitimacy of the international art world.

5 Likes

John Denver approves.

9 Likes

“Lost” in that it was legally sold to a prince and then found in a yacht owned by the royal family? Headline seems a bit clickbaity.

A 134m yacht is going to be a floating museum pretty much by definition. The only people who would buy such a thing are people looking to stash money away in collectables. A yacht is perfect because when the revolution comes you can be out to sea in minutes with billions of dollars worth of art and antiques.

10 Likes

I think what they’re saying is that MBS lost the bid, but took it anyway.

2 Likes

A $450m painting housed in a floating hotel room; one that could literally be sunk by a clogged toilet. Sound financial decision.

2 Likes

This isn’t some rinky dink 50 foot super yacht. While it’s not impossible the thing could be lost at sea, it’s probably safer there than in one of his many mansions. The latter of course being big stationary targets when the revolution comes.

6 Likes

Safer as long as he’s on good terms with the major navies.

1 Like

Insurgents rarely have a navy.

4 Likes

Wherever it is, it’s still a fake. It’s like a bunch of pieces of real DaVincis, all put together in one frame, to a not convincing at all effect.

1 Like

Very small rocks?

4 Likes