Biotech startup developing drug to grow more teeth

Originally published at: Biotech startup developing drug to grow more teeth | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Just working out the side effects.

13 Likes

I always wondered where the Langoliers came from.

IMG_3571

6 Likes

This won’t end well…

4 Likes

Wow, walking on your teeth would suck.

5 Likes

“Oh, they’re not MY teeth!”

7 Likes

Sarah Silverman Eww GIF by HULU

6 Likes

I was wondering if there was a word that described the ick I felt when seeing those images, but this sums it up pretty well.

7 Likes

Bite, as in really good traction/grip, surely? :wink:

2 Likes

When LEGO knows fear.

6 Likes

Just look at them all!

eyes-manyeyes

7 Likes

I always thought Gilbert & Sullivan?

Interesting this is coming out of Japan… I was reading recently about how in the US (and Korea, etc.), the beauty standard for teeth has become so narrow that celebrities mouths all look identical - the size, shape and spacing of teeth all the same. In Japan, it used to be that you’d see a lot of pop stars with crooked and “imperfect” teeth, as they were considered cute, though I understand the current fad for women is fangs (not canine teeth that are extra long, but which jut forward in the mouth). With this breakthrough, I expect we’ll see future beauty fads that involve extra teeth.

IMG_3572

I wonder if it is related to this older research from back in 2002:

It struck me that this was too promising a technology to not eventually develop. Good to see it may well come to full fruition.

1 Like

Just waiting for the collab with the fake bellybutton people

3 Likes

Bodyhorror photoshops aside; this seems like it would be really nice if worked out.

Tooth loss is a pretty common use case; and ceramics and deeply unsettling titanium screws are…imperfect…at best.

5 Likes

More teeth! What more could anyone want in life?

“What," asked Mr Croup, “do you want?”
“What,” asked the Marquis de Carabas, a little more rhetorically, “does anyone want?”
“Dead things,” suggested Mr Vandemar. "Extra teeth.”

― Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere

5 Likes

I got two swiss-made zirkonium screws just yesterday. While I’d have preferred to grow new teeth meself, I acknowledge and really, really appreciate the amount of engineering and the general progress in dentistry. Especially since I’ve seen the different kinds of treatment which are still in use in many parts of the world myself.

2 Likes

If this allows teeth to work on the Pez model, it seems like it would solve most of people’s dental problems. You’d just take out anything that’s causing trouble and grow in a shiny new replacement.

I am curious whether adult jaws can keep growing new teeth without harm, and whether the teeth would automatically grow in right or if you’d need braces.

2 Likes