Bipartisan groups call on Congress to reinstate the Office of Technology Assessment, which Gingrich killed in 1995

Now, I know there are some polls out there saying this man has a 32 percent approval rating. But guys like us, we don’t pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in reality. And reality has a well-known liberal bias

Steven Colbert said this during W. Bush, but he could have been talking about science today. People believe what they want to believe. I don’t think some office is going to persuasive against a lobbyist with campaign cash and bundled donors or super pacs.

2 Likes

The way things stand now congresspeople are largely incapable of making objective evidence-based decisions on tech legislation even when they want to because no one is presenting them with objective information on the technology they regulate. That IS something that can be changed.

4 Likes

congresspeople are largely incapable of making objective evidence-based decisions on tech legislation even when they want to because no one is presenting them with objective information on the technology they regulate.

When they want to make evidence-based decisions? There is one party that apparently would rather not be troubled with evidence or objective information on any topic if it’s not politically correct. So the other party might find it useful to have that kind of information. It would be good to that extent to re-open the office.

A senator brings a snowball into Congress to disprove global warming.
And that’s not the beginning of a joke. (I mean, it is a joke, but…)
Anyway, that’s where we are.

It’s almost as if the US government does things stupidly on purpose to prove that government is bad and we should just get rid of everything except the military.

Sorry, did I say “almost”?

More than even McConnell?

1 Like

It’s a bit sad that I didn’t even know the Office of Technology Assessment had been wiped out for lo these many long years. But you’re right, $6 million is chump change. Bring it back to life, and let the bland lead the blind! However, in this Trumpian universe, will more government be truly allowed to flourish?

McConnell is bad - perhaps the worst Senate leader in modern history. But he takes a backseat to Newt in my opinion.

Gingrich started the politics-as-bloodsport ball rolling almost 40 years ago and is basically Trump with a brain and an ideology - to destroy politics forever. And he has pretty much succeeded. Newt is the political equivalent to Lex Luthor.

Here’s a guy who lead the impeachment of a President over a sexual affair with a staffer - while he himself was having an affair with a staffer…and this after divorcing his first wife while she was in the hospital battling cancer. He also shut down the government after Clinton made him sit in the back of Air Force One. He outright admitted to this.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/2016-newt-gingrich-scandals-accomplishments-veepstakes-running-mate-trump-gop-republican-214050

1 Like

Never happen. NEVER HAPPEN. The OTA was abolished so the climate change deniers and the shameless corporate whores and the sleazeballs who pander to religious nuts in Congress wouldn’t have anyone interfering with their bullshit machine. They’ll reinstate a department that proves they are idiots and liars they day after hell freezes over.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.