Bipartisan groups call on Congress to reinstate the Office of Technology Assessment, which Gingrich killed in 1995

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/11/evidentiary-vacuums-r-us.html

6 Likes

The loss of the OTA is one of the most important and overlooked changes to congress. I really wish them luck in getting it reinstated.

Its basic psychology that if 99% of “experts” you hear from say the same thing then you believe it. Currently the only experts heard from in congress are partisan lobbyists. Exposing legislators to independent reports on climate change, broadband, water quality, etc. would make a difference

28 Likes

So Republicans have been fucktards since, well, let’s just say a long, long time ago.

10 Likes

Since the formation of the modern Republican party, in response to (against) the civil rights movement.

11 Likes

What would be the point of reinstating a watchdog agency when Trump will just appoint some puppet Luddite to run it? Have we not been paying attention?

4 Likes

Newt Gingrich you disgusting leper.

13 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of Peter Thiel.

2 Likes

Or Newt himself! How did I miss the obvious?

5 Likes

@beschizza better not fiddle with his eyes.

5 Likes

it’s a shame that Democrats didn’t hold complete control over the congress & presidency at any point between now & 1995, so that things like this could have been dealt with. oh, wait…

9 Likes

He’d probably appoint Jack Dorsey or Peter Thiel to run it. Or maybe Notch, because why the fuck not at this point.

5 Likes

About a decade ago Newt Gingrich expressed some regret about axing the Office of Technology Assessment but I expect he may have changed his mind about it any number of times since then.

1 Like

Starting with Nixon and his Southern Strategy.

3 Likes

it’s an office of Congress, not the executive. Congress would staff it and they would report to Congress.

8 Likes

Wait, wait! Shingy!

1 Like

With any luck Trump won’t be President forever. Might as well reinstate the agency while there is still a possibility of getting bipartisan support for it.

6 Likes

Bipartisan fucktards.

1 Like

Note that Republicans have also been trying to cripple the Congressional Research Service, whose job is just to provide useful topical info to Congress. Don’t want that!

5 Likes

The more I read about Newt and his scorched Earth politics during the Clinton admin the more I’ve come to despise the slimy weasel. I say he single handedly has done more harm to this nation than any other politician.

6 Likes

He bears much direct responsibility for today’s hyper partisan dysfunction.

3 Likes