Bird Scooter tried to censor my Boing Boing post with a legal threat that's so stupid, it's a whole new kind of wrong

Bless this thread…

19 Likes

Way to cry foul.

11 Likes

Goog on ya.

4 Likes

I can’t emphasize this enough - situations like this really are existential threats to independent orgs like Boing Boing - the costs to defend are just too high. If you don’t already, please consider supporting the EFF today.

26 Likes

Filing borderline-frivolous claims like these seems to be a common last-ditch effort for companies trying to salvage a few pennies before their creditors finish chewing them up and crapping them out.

The letter probably cost them $100 and was a cheap gamble. Had you cooperated, they would have had one more bit of manufactured evidence that might help convince a gull-ible investor or creditor of the viability of their plan to recover some money via lawsuits. If it failed, they still only lost $100. The bad publicity isn’t even a factor, because their investors are neither happy nor mutants, and will never see your article.

9 Likes

I actually did post a pun, but I decided to pullet.

19 Likes

It seems the vultures are circling.

10 Likes

Thank you, kind soul, for collecting all of these.

7 Likes

The EFF is definitely an ally to crow about.

15 Likes

Litigation trolls can’t ruffle our feathers.

16 Likes

Puns aside, the Bird letter is so wrong in so many ways that it’s hard imagine any lawyer thinking that it would pass the bird-pun test.

9 Likes

Came here expecting sea-bird puns (possibly involving petrel). I am disappoint. Stones have been left unterned.
Never apologise for a birb pun.

Je n’egret rien.

18 Likes

11 Likes

Don’t be shy. The moa the merrier.

14 Likes

The difference between this and the thread at Ars is pretty shocking.

14 Likes

Not just some fly by night punsters that’s why.

12 Likes

One of the best ever! This thread must be saved for posterity. Anything less would be robin’ future generations.

13 Likes

O rhea-ly? My tern: I hope yer speaking with condor, and not just puffin air? (I hope that doesn’t read like I’m tryin’ to skua you. If it does sound that way I’ll eat… I’ll eat my hat.)

The stork reality is that I kinda care more about the boid puns than Cory’s article at this point.

10 Likes

Just took a quick skim (link here). It is shocking, in that a small handful of commenters there seem to be arguing that this patently absurd demand letter has merit. So instead of indulging in silly bird puns, they’re stuck explaining to those doofuses what everyone here already understands.

Also, I am very sorry you as publisher have to deal with this nuisance. Even with the support of the EFF and colleagues like Cory and orenwolf and the rest of the Happy Mutants, a lawyer’s letter can ruin an independent publisher’s day. I hope it resolves without too much of a headache.

22 Likes

If given a choice between the nerds at ARS and the ones here on BB, I’ll pick the happy mutants everytime.

13 Likes