Bird Scooter tried to censor my Boing Boing post with a legal threat that's so stupid, it's a whole new kind of wrong

If motherboard swaps were circumvention, then selling someone a screwdriver could be an offense punishable by a five year prison sentence and a $500,000 fine. Obviously, it’s not …

… yet.

6 Likes

From a while ago but, it shows that people (cities are people?) are getting tired of the Bird shit.

9 Likes

If they’re agged now, just wait until people start getting hurt and killed because of riding those things in traffic with no protection whatsoever. I’m surprised there haven’t been any reports of that yet.

6 Likes

Several deaths have occurred in the DC area already. Scooters and cars don’t mix well.

8 Likes

None that I know of in the Bay area yet, but it’s coming I’m sure.

5 Likes

Auk-ward!

19 Likes

Linda Kwak: “To be clear, Bird scooters are not for sale.”

Therein lies the problem with your legal theory, Ms. Kwak. When Bird fails to claim the scooters from impound, they cease being Bird property. Whomever buys them from the police auction is the rightful owner. In order to make use of their property, the scooter owners are removing the devices containing Bird intellectual property, without defeating, altering, or accessing the contents. Thus there is no DMCA infringement. The Bird IP is then placed, intact, in a landfill for safe keeping.

23 Likes

If any orni-ry Bird supporters come over here puffin their chests, we will sparrow no effort until they are ostrich-sized from our roost.

14 Likes

What a bunch of boobs.

20 Likes

Toucan play at that game.

edit: My mistake, I didn’t mean to parrot an earlier pun on this thread.

17 Likes

Your comment dovetails nicely with mine.

19 Likes

Caught red-footed trying to feather their nests. Pluck 'em, I say!

16 Likes

Oh, man. If they could challenge that… It would open the door for so many other victims of impound. They can’t, but it would be an upside. Because if Bird could argue that they never surrendered their rights to that property, it would set up a precedent where a poor person could do the same for their vehicle. Which is why it can never be allowed. The state will never give up the ability to profit from the poor.

Sure, they could argue that it’s their IP, versus a poor person who just purchased a vehicle instead of developing it, but – as is demonstrated – that part is easily removable from the rest and can be done by said authorities prior to selling the rest, if that is the only concern.

9 Likes

Ridiculously, VTY is still in wide use in the business world as a standard letter closure with no deeper intention than to close an average business letter. It has always struck me as being too familiar for business dealings, yet in nearly 25 years trying to end the practice at my various employers, it’s still there, laying in wait to squick out the recipient.

On a broader note…Bravo, Happy Mutants, this thread is a Master Class in bird puns, for which we have years of practice with fish puns, and one champion Mutant (the elders on the site know to whom I refer, wherever his exalted, tweed-covered bottom may be) to thank.

20 Likes

Many species of waterfowl, including the noble petrel, are blameless here. They bear no responsibility for this nefarious threat, and I have been careful not to slander or mock them. On the other hand, I’m sure we can agree to diss a grebe.

19 Likes

I’m laughing and crying at the same time, again.

11 Likes

I can’t believe no one has posted this yet…

14 Likes

Saw 96 comments and thought this topic sure has provoked some intelligent discussion.

I blame myself.

16 Likes

Oh, it is ON…

“I’ll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don’t bring me down”

5 Likes

Don’t blame yourself, the offense isn’t due to your faux gras. Keep your chin up and capon keeping on.

16 Likes