Bird Scooter tried to censor my Boing Boing post with a legal threat that's so stupid, it's a whole new kind of wrong

Such a pullet-surprise!

8 Likes

It’s not too late to tern this around.

Or am I just being gull-ible?

13 Likes

I don’t think the thread will descend to wren and ruin. Only five more days until it reaches it’s swan song.

11 Likes

Do you think people will keep flocking to the post to make comments until then?

13 Likes

Oh, from what I’m heron from this, some people will stork this post right up 'til it’s tit’s up.

And others will be shriking about it.

12 Likes

You clever bustard

@IronEdithKidd Thanks for sharing that “The Birds” parody.

@Perrin_Rynning “… and the winner is…”

7 Likes

Sadly, not pun-based, but relevant to TFA:

4 Likes

I don’t see more than one death near DC. Do you know of more? http://thecityfix.com/blog/d-c-just-released-the-findings-from-its-dockless-bike-and-scooter-pilot-sebastian-castellanos/

1 Like

To be fair (rather than fowl), her legal theory is that Bird scooters cannot be owned, and laws like DMCA have strongly eggcouraged businesses to believe just that. The root legal absbirdity is that “anti-circumvention” laws imply that “circumvention” is whatever the plaintiff says it is. It obviously doesn’t mean “successfully copying the protected IP” because that’s illegal anyway, and it can’t mean “defeating protection measures that can’t be defeated”. Implicitly, it must cover any kind of tinkering the manufacturer doesn’t want you to do; if the only thing protecting their IP is a single screw, then they must be able to sue you / have you arrested for removing that screw, or else the law is meaningless.

It’d probably be a good thing if some of these more ridiculous cases did tern up in court, forcing judges to address how unpheasant the law fundamentally is, and hopefully shrike it down completely.

9 Likes

Willet end before then? I hope knot. Then again, I’ll egret all this if I start dreaming in bird pun.

6 Likes

The other legal absurdity she’s roosting upon is that the scooters cannot be owned as physical objects as well as intellectual property. Local municipalities that have them in their impound lots and on the auction blocks obviously disagree. As would Bird if someone just stole one of their scooters instead of buying it from the city at auction.

The absurdity in this care should be self-evident even to a copyright maximalist.

I agree. I’d just rather not see an independent publisher that’s effectively a bystander to the main dispute dragged into this flocking mess.

8 Likes

cat-skateboard-deal

sorry it’s not a birb, but a birb killer…

11 Likes

TIL: Considering your screen name, I knew there had to be a reason you used the image of a fly, so I looked it up. Did not know that was the term for that part of the construction…thanks!

5 Likes

As far as I’m concerned, Byrd, lime, et al are a public nuisance, are being built on the backs of public infrastructure, often without any notification of local officials- let alone a public vote or referendum, and should be prosecuted for such. I hate thieves, but if you willfully abandon your property in a public place, and said abandonment creates a physical hazard, which they do, literally millions of times a day, then the very people whose taxes pay to maintain those places should be free to clean up by removing said hazards. They most certainly contribute to illegal activity (many municipalities have helmet laws, as well as litter laws, and some have laws against using any motorized conveyance on sidewalks).

6 Likes

Hey, Birdlime is very popular around Christmas!

9 Likes

So the “circumvention” is about replacing the original motherboard with another that emu-lates its functions independently?

9 Likes

Oh my, /very/ good!

2 Likes

I hope you’re not aviscating for crowpetrel punishment. Just because a guy grouses a bit doesn’t mean we should whip poor will.

10 Likes

Ya know, I’ve read through 118 posts with bird puns… must be birds of a feather flock together.

lame, I know.

9 Likes

AthleticSameBream-small https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AthleticSameBream-size_restricted.gif

I tie flies, and hackle is the lifeblood of people who tie dry flies (ones that float on the surface of the water). Good hackle can be expensive, but there was a “crisis” a decade ago when there was the fashion trend to weave feathers into people’s hair. There was a shortage of hackle and fly tyers panicked (not that you would be able to tell). Good hackle capes were going for >$200. Fly prices skyrocketed. Prolific fly tyers were jonesin’ for a fix. It was a short-lived bubble, but some good tyers I know still get twitchy when reminded of the Great Defeathering.

9 Likes