Bitcoin price plunges

The two are interconnected. If you are paid by the government you don’t have a choice in accepting pounds.

It’s a two pronged thing. Paying out pounds supplies them, accepting them creates a use for them.

The exclusivity and force makes it a need.

You need pounds to pay the government. You can get pounds because the government pays in pounds.

That gives the base level of utility. There’s is always some one who will accept them. And always a way to get them.

2 Likes

Cool, then can you spend some to sort out the racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia and everything else this Capitalist Hellhole seems to thrive on?
I hear there are monkeys that would like to subscribe to your newsletter but please be quick, their homes are on fire.

5 Likes

We can’t fix that stuff! There is money to be made! /s

6 Likes

I mean the graph shows it going somewhere. :smirk:

But seriously, we all know that bitcoin is going to stick around until everyone gives up on it, and that is not going to happen any time soon. Especially not while such people tell them not to…it make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. It’s just a shame, because it’s encouraging people to help destroy our common environment in hopes of padding their personal bank accounts.

Which, incidentally, is more or less what the Carlyle Group exists for. They’re a private equity firm, their whole business is to make money for rich people at the expense of everyone else. They may or may not know what they are talking about, but they’re the bad guys, not something to promote.

6 Likes

Nervous Basketball Wives GIF by VH1

5 Likes

The problem with BTC’s energy usage is more a problem of where society sources its energy than with BTC itself. In a perfect world, the energy it uses to perform its calculations would come from green sources. Also, BTC is today more a store of value than an actual currency. It’s more akin to gold and silver than the USD or EUR. I suspect the gold and silver industries do far more damage to our environments than BTC. All this being said, the new third-generation cryptos make BTC look like a dinosaur and are very energy efficient. A transaction with Hedera Hashgraph’s HBAR uses a fraction of the energy of a VISA transaction. The new digital US dollar will likely be built on Hedera or a similar platform. Many of you have complained that fiat currencies tie you to systems of economic and environmental exploitation. Cryptos are a means to build social economies of choice. I know in Australia they are exploring plans to build what are called Hedera cities. I think it is a mistake to avoid interacting with the crypto sphere because of negative opinions about BTC. It’s much more than that and is an instrument to create a less exploitative future.

Referenced article: https://cointelegraph.com/news/eftpos-reveals-plans-to-power-australian-smart-cities-with-blockchain-tech/amp?__twitter_impression=true

We dont’ live there. This is not a theoretical problem it’s a REAL EXISTING ONE. Environmental is being done RIGHT NOW by this. Hence it should stop.

There isn’t much evidence for this, and post a pro-Crypto website as “evidence” isn’t much support for this claim.

13 Likes

Also, I like the idea that an absolute utopia would have a completely overhauled energy system with no environmental impact whatsoever…but of course it would still also spend it on competitively generating decentralized currency, because who the hell trusts banks.

Apparently you can dream up any technology you want, but anything other than a free market capitalist framework is completely unrealistic. Maybe someday we might even have Star Trek, but we have to be the Ferengi.

12 Likes

Until regulation kills the racket.

And China just regulated so fucking hard.

Damn good at too. $36k drop in hours.

1 Like

You do realize that regulation is a good thing, right? It means the sector is gaining enough mainstream traction and interest from enterprise and the financial sector that it needs regulation. That’s true of every new technology. And crypto is a volatile sector. I bought my first BTC at $13.07. So, it’s had a lot of ups and downs since then.

Wait, you mean you aren’t an impartial advocate for the value of cryptocurrency to society, but just happen to have a vested financial interest in its continued use too? Both supporters on this thread, what are the odds! I’m shocked. Shocked.

10 Likes

Personal profit, over all; it’s what really matters.

10 Likes

TPTB accept the pollution and waste because they don’t care about pollution and waste

but there are other things they care about

BitCoin is all about breaking the rules, eventually it will be used to break a rule that gets it banned

4 Likes

Both gold and silver have actual value. Silver has several important uses in medicine and science, while gold is extremely important in electronics. Bitcoin does not.

6 Likes

I have only offered a thoughtful defense of a technology today. You may disagree with my arguments, but that’s all I’ve done. I did disclose above that I read an article on BoingBoing in 2011 that alerted me to BTC’s existence, subsequently invested, and it transformed my life. I disclosed that. I own almost no BTC today, and all my crypto holdings presently are third generation examples that are far more environmentally friendly than VISA or MasterCard. Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies will be transformative in the coming years, and you’ll all be using them. The Federal Reserve has made no secret it plans to launch a digital USD to match the digital Yuan. That’s all the same tech.

1 Like

No it means there’s enough sketchy shit, grift and damage that regulators have to act.

Though I would agree that regulation is a good thing.

Recall that China has flat banned dealing in or holding Bitcoin/crypto.

Not regulating it as a financial vehicle for legal, controlled trade on legitimate markets. Which was the original supposed “regulation is good” take from the boosters.

The discussion around regulation in Europe and the US is along the same lines. Restriction not legitimization.

Meanwhile a lot of the interest it’s garnered is down to the fact that it is unregulated or allows people to step around regulations.

The base conception is about avoiding that. It’s classic “disruption”.

If you can’t discuss this topic without 1) making it personal or 2) attacking other members, please take your comments to r/CryptoCurrency. Thank you.

3 Likes

A significant number of corporations are holding BTC. Tesla made more profit from its BTC holdings last quarter than from selling cars. That’s why the regulation is coming: to provide clarity for the instruments to become more mainstream.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

11 Likes

At least you could wipe your ass with Confederate currency.

6 Likes