Black and Latino New Yorkers are dying of coronavirus at twice the rate of whites

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/09/black-and-latino-new-yorkers-a.html

4 Likes

Something similar has also been observed in Britain

13 Likes

In Louisiana, 70% of deaths are among black residents (32% of state). That means a 5x* higher death rate among black residents. Part of that is due to New Orleans having most of the covid-19 deaths in the state, but even by parish there is a big discrepancy. It should come as no surprise; access to healthcare, job security, polution exposure, and housing are all heavily unequal

*(70/32)/(30/68) = 4.96

15 Likes
13 Likes

Conservatives are already spinning this as “black people are just irresponsible and ignorant about taking precautions”.

12 Likes

Well thats easily addressed by comparing covid infection and death rates.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be more useful to be looking separately at the rate black and Latino patients are being infected, and then the rate of infected who are dying?

Only talking about deaths per the overall (including healthy) population seems too simplistic.

1 Like

And unfortunately, that would be all too easily ignored.

5 Likes

Dr. Fauci mentioned this a couple briefings ago (and even Trump acknowledged it some.)

It’s almost like systemic racism leads to poverty which affects the health of those it oppresses leading to conditions that make survival of Covid19 less likely. :confused: Hopefully it isn’t affecting amount or quality of care in these cases. Hopefully.

6 Likes

That train is never late.

12 Likes

Sadly, we have plenty of existing evidence of racism in health care, so…

7 Likes

True, I am just hoping in this case with the high profile of the disease they won’t be dismissed like they might be with other issues.

2 Likes

great you should listen to them and paraphrase their lies on the internet, where what you write lasts forever.
</ snark>

How about a class action lawsuit? a raid? a protest?

Likely, the only way to get certain people to shut the fuck up is to captain hook their asses. image

No, I mean turn around and deny their very existence.

In my state, white people get stimulus package first. Is this the rule everywhere? When I applied they said they were out of money, but plenty of folks got the PPP and EIDL stuff for their businesses, or they say they did. Starting to believe the 2.2 trillion was racists’ hoax.

3 Likes

MoJo ran this story on the topic today:

3 Likes

heck, npr had a report on how it’s down to the disinformation and distrust that exists in black american communities.

the interviewee’s perspective has a lot of merit, but the framing of the piece itself is mind blowing.

4 Likes

Ugh. Surprised they didn’t add that black men especially get it more because it slips where their pants are about to fall off.

NPR has long struck me as catering to bougie white liberals, with all of the attendant asuumptions and prejudices in play most of the time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.